FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export to DNxHD 444 Gamma problems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Williams
Export to DNxHD 444 Gamma problems
on Mar 7, 2017 at 12:47:38 pm

Hi guys,

so we have been editing a music video which needs to be exported to DNxHD 444, I am working with our colorist (not the most experienced) in trying to get the best export settings. We are having real problems with the Gamma, if we export to data levels-Full it looks too washed out and its too dark if set to Video, if set to Auto it appears too washed out. We are exporting to be uploaded to youtube

I am currently viewing on a non calibrated screen although later I will be working with the colorist on his screen. I have been exportin then bringing back into resolve to compare with the project. the difference is massive. Is there a better way I can view if the output is correct?

we are shooting AS72 footage, exported from premiere to cineform 444 into resolve

Time line settings
32 bit float
davinci YRGB

Video Monitoring
video bit depth 10bit
Data levels - video

Colour managment
rec 709 scene

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Export to DNxHD 444 Gamma problems
on Mar 7, 2017 at 3:27:11 pm

Your post is confusing... You've told us what you shot and what you delivered to the colorist, and what you want to export, but what has your colorist delivered to you? Has he delivered a graded master to you that you're using now for your additional exports? Please connect the dots for us telling us where the colorist fits in to your workflow? You seem to have left that out?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Josh Williams
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:58:00 pm

Its to deliver to a company for QC, they will then be uploading to youtube.

I read something about vimeo and youtube recognising and adjusting for the video levels. I have just done a couple of tests uploading the file and it has darkened down again but there is a bit more magenta coming out now.

I gave the colorist the files and he graded with resolve. I am just helping to get the export settings right (he has been giving me resolve files and we have both been trying different export settings), as when we exported it seemed to look wrong.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:32:03 pm

[Josh Williams] "Data levels - video

Colour managment
rec 709 scene
"

and
"DNxHD 444"

....need to be handled with care. Most 4:4:4 codecs are really there for RGB full-range operations. ProRes444 is also notorious for this kind of reported error because the NLEs do not have a mechanism for detecting the appropriate video level black-white range automatically. When you cite "washed out, too dark", its a red flag. Gamma issues are usually blamed, but that should really be a thing of the past, when the RGB --Y'CbCr range issue is a much bigger problem. In the end, this is a measurable, quantifiable technical problem and you can approach it simply by running a test with a calibration signal like color bars and a scope. Analogically, you are the pilot on final who thinks you're coming in a little bit off the glideslope, and I'm the controller who is asking you what your altimeter reads. You have one. Most modern aircraft also have a glideslope indicator, but that's another thing.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:47:40 pm

what joe said.... get your colorist to put bars at the head of his output. Look at that on the scopes of what ever you are bringing it back into.

Does your colorist have a calibrated screen? Is he using scopes? you said he is inexperienced...look at his scopes on the shots that are too dark, or too washed out...how do they look on his scopes? Is he crushing the blacks, but his screen looks ok? (or vice versa?)

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]