FORUMS: list search recent posts

wrong transform properties after FCPX XML import in Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Fya
wrong transform properties after FCPX XML import in Resolve
on Mar 1, 2017 at 11:52:45 am

Hey Guys,

After importing an XML from FCPX 10.3 into Resolve 12.5, I have this problem where about 50% of the clips have their PTZR parameters not translating properly.

I had to postpone my delivery because of it and it is a real PITA.

I analyzed every clip of my music video to check when it happens and when it doesn't. I was not able to see any pattern. It can happen on any type clip (regular, compound, multicam), on any parameter (but mostly position), on clips that were originally part of a secondary storyline or not, ...

Even more surprising : sometimes in Resolve there are keyframes appearing even though nothing has been changed at all on the clip in FCPX !!!!

Another weird thing: sometimes for a clip, the framing is respected but the position values in Resolve seem to be about half (but not exactly) of the values in FCPX. At first I thought that is because the my timeline is of a different resolution in FCPX & Resolve, but no they are the same. And the clips are matching it too. Then I thought maybe it's because they are zoomed but I have it on clips that have been zoomed, and also on clips with no zoom.

Additional info:
In FCPX, all of my spatial conform is set to the default: fit.
In Resolve's inspector too : Retime and Scaling > Scaling > Fit (default)

As workarounds I thought of the following but none seems ideal ...

Workaround 1 : having the whole project exported clip by clip from FCPX to bake in all transformations. But since 80% of the transitions are cross dissolve, this is not going to work easily.

Workaround 2: I select all clips in my Resolve timeline and then turn off the transformations in the inspector to grade the original clips. Problem : then we will need to replace each and every clip in FCPX with the graded ones manually.

Really need of some help here if anyone has an idea ...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: wrong transform properties after FCPX XML import in Resolve
on Mar 1, 2017 at 2:58:41 pm

I don't use FCPx, but in the Avid world I would do a round trip. Ignore scaling when you bring the shots in, color them, export with the round trip setting back to Avid.

Back in Avid, import the new aaf, and all the clips are now colored and contain any effects/transformations they originally had in Avid.

That's the whole idea of the round trip workflow.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2017 at 6:56:53 pm

Whenever I get any project from a client, I ask that they export a textless, full resolution QT file. I will use that file for the times that the footage doesn't link properly, or when compound clips are present and don't come over fully, or when there are stills as those rarely link properly, and when there are special transition effects that I don't have in Resolve. I'll layer that on top of the sequence, and any time I have an issue, I chop up the part I need and bring it down.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron Fya
on Mar 1, 2017 at 8:08:51 pm

Shane,

That's borderline wily for the pure sake of color grading ... but I understand it gets the job done 😃
I would like to avoid that as much as possible though.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 3, 2017 at 2:07:06 am

And there is a third approach: redo all the repositions by eye within Resolve and use Resolve to create the final deliverable version (or at least a flattened file of the entire video file).

Not all transitions, titling, composites, repositions, audio mixing & effects, and speed changes are compatible within different editing applications. This is the reality of modern post workflow: Cuts, dissolves, and fades are fine, but XML's can only handle so much. It's a problem for Avid, FCP7, FCPX, Premiere, Pro Tools, and Resolve (and pretty much everything else out there).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]