FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL character limit for clip and tape names from Premiere

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helen Cho
EDL character limit for clip and tape names from Premiere
on Feb 27, 2017 at 7:19:50 pm

I'll be exporting an EDL from Premiere (which now allows for 32 characters in clip and reel names) for Resolve.

I was wondering if this will be able to be read by Resolve? I know that the old standard for CMX 3600 EDLs was for 8 characters in the reel name, but came across this article by Michael Phillips saying that it can actually now accommodate up to 120 characters. Here's the article: http://24p.com/wordpress/?cat=3

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: EDL character limit for clip and tape names from Premiere
on Feb 27, 2017 at 8:12:40 pm

As I have said before it depends on the EDL and the program that is importing the EDL. The basic version of Resolve is free. You can easily test this.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: EDL character limit for clip and tape names from Premiere
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:58:45 am

[Helen Cho] "I'll be exporting an EDL from Premiere (which now allows for 32 characters in clip and reel names) for Resolve."
I think in general you're better off exporting XMLs instead from Premiere to Resolve. There are sometimes minor issues with the import (to any editing program): 1) any wipe transitions are generally left behind; 2) speed ramps and reverse motion changes do not work; 3) repositions may not work depending on the aspect ratios of the Premiere project compared to the Resolve project; 4) composites generally do not work; 5) titles are buggy and often do not work (they seem to come up as scrolling titles).

But straight cuts and dissolves and fades work very well, and it is possible to at least conform the clips quickly and efficiently. I just had a project that had about 40 or 50 complicated wipe transitions in a 20-minute short, and every one of them had to be done by hand. Same with speed changes.

Note that if you go from Premiere to Avid or Premiere to FCPX, there are similar issues -- this is more a limitation of XML than a Resolve problem per se. EDLs are extremely simple and generally are not enough for a complex edit timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]