FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would you do a "light saber" look from neon tubes ?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Fya
How would you do a "light saber" look from neon tubes ?
on Feb 26, 2017 at 8:43:52 pm

Hi guys,

I have this shot where I need to make the neon tubes (which are spinning around her) look like a glowing star wars light saber. I mean a really extreme yet clean glow.

I am not used to much effects in my grades most of the time so what I tried was unsuccessful on several points. I tried the glow effect and not only wasn't the glow very nice, but I also cannot have it spread around the tubes if I qualify the tubes (it is contained strictly only on the qualified area).

Moreover, if the technique can also hide the tape and wires that are on the tubes (because it glows very much), that's an extra.

So how can I go on this ? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: How would you do a "light saber" look from neon tubes ?
on Feb 27, 2017 at 1:16:27 am

There are some effects that can be done in color grading, and some color grading that can be done in VFX. But they are not the same thing.

Having said that: as mentioned on another forum, you could try Boris Continuum and see if their various glow effects will do what you want. A lot will depend on how you can rotoscope out the background from the foreground. At some point you have to do three things:

1) shoot with the desired effect in mind

2) do tests

3) if necessary, use a real compositing program.

I've found you can sometimes limp by doing some of this stuff in a color-grading program, but there are always limitations. This isn't a Resolve problem -- there are identical issues with Baselight, Nucoda, Pablo, and so on. Mistika actually has more VFX features than most other color programs, but it's very specialized and not cheap.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 27, 2017 at 7:49:15 am
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 27, 2017 at 7:50:11 am

Much better suited to Fusion (also other 2D effects/compositors)than Resolve.

Noah

FCPWORKS

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 27, 2017 at 8:53:50 pm

If the magenta is quite distinct, you could likely do a secondary isolation and then blur the heck out of it. That would be the down and dirty.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]