FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting rid of a lens dust spot on a close up

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Fya
getting rid of a lens dust spot on a close up
on Feb 25, 2017 at 2:08:42 am

Hi Guys,

The final shot of the music video I'm working on is spotted with lens dust in the very plain center of the face.
The spot looks like a slightly dark question mark and is still on the image. As she turns her head, it moves from between her eyes, gets through her left eye into her hair above the left ear.

(See images WGA - lamb meat - spot - 01 to 04, in 16:9)

How would you deal with that ?

I tried a power window with a curve but of course, since the source area is changing in luminosity along its path, a setting that kinda gets rid of the spot at one place does not work for the next.
Moreover, I said "kinda gets rid" of it because despite playing with the softness parameters of the power window, I still gets a fringe around the spot.

(See images WGA - lamb meat - fix test - 01 to 04 , in cinemascope)

There are also several smaller other spots on other parts of the image.

Here is a link to the footage if images are not enough.
https://we.tl/b1SppYqQpa

Any quick fix ? Or should I go for the nuclear option and do it in photoshop frame by frame along 160 frames ?
My deadline is monday I am taking the fastest tricks 😃

Thanks you so much

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: getting rid of a lens dust spot on a close up
on Feb 25, 2017 at 4:41:43 pm

the quickest fix is probably a distraction....lens flare coming out of the corner, nothing too harsh, but enough to cause some extra polygons to float around the screen.

You have lots of color backlight, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that there would be some light creeping in on the corners of the frame.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 25, 2017 at 5:02:28 pm

Wow, I just downloaded the video...the stills don't do it justice. The true fix is tracking and cloning frames.
Maybe eyebrow on one pass, forehead on another. I didn't realize it passed right over her face like that.

Looks like a job for fusion and Mocha. Is this the only shot it happens on, or is the whole video like this?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ron Fya
on Feb 26, 2017 at 7:53:34 pm

Yes it is the only shot where this happens, and it's pretty darn obvious and annoying ... but since it is the final shot of the video, it is very important to have in clean ... :-/

Don't know much about fusion and mocha though ... so I think I am left with only the nuclear option of photoshop. 160 frames, 1 to 2 minutes per frame ... that's something like between 3 to 6 hours ... yeah. Job is fun sometimes :P

Return to posts index

Ron Fya
on Feb 26, 2017 at 7:55:50 pm

I like the idea of distracting using a flare though ... maybe I should try that even though I suspect it won't work since the shot is not moving so it will obviously look fake if a flare appears and disappears when the dust spot is the most noticeable.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 27, 2017 at 5:54:18 am

Unfortunately frame by frame painting is extremely difficult to do..and not look obvious.

I wish you luck.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]