FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNG to dark?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Crews
DNG to dark?
on Feb 7, 2017 at 6:54:48 pm

I am new to working with DNG files, I got this from some guys in the field shooting on a FS-700 with an Odyssey unit. I have brought it into Resolve and tried to make it usable but I am getting noise and just crappy results. Does anyone know if this is beyond repair?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: DNG to dark?
on Feb 9, 2017 at 10:55:40 am

Check the histogram. If it's underexposed, it's underexposed. I've felt there's quite a few low-cost cameras out there that are relatively insensitive (and I would include the lower-end Blackmagic Cameras on that list). I think the Ursa and Ursa Mini are a lot better. Often, finding the "sweet spot" for exposure requires some experimentation and a lot of camera tests to figure out how hard you can push the image before it breaks. To me, one major issue is the cameras require more fill light than many people think.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: DNG to dark?
on Feb 9, 2017 at 4:48:57 pm

It used to be that if you had no IRE spread, either all 0's or all 1's... indistinguishable from a blank sheet of paper.

What species of DNG are you working with? If you have any kind of metadata describing exposure index, maybe you can pump those numbers to see if there is anything down there in the inky abyss.

Then its all about noise suppression and banding. You are trying to scale a 100 foot cliff with a ten foot ladder.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]