FORUMS: list search recent posts

Second Monitor Playback

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alec gitelman
Second Monitor Playback
on Feb 6, 2017 at 9:44:37 pm

Hello,

I haven't worked in Resolve since a few versions back, and I remember that for full screen playback on a second monitor I needed to run it through a Blackmagic I/O device. Is that still the case? Is there a way I could do this, or something similar with a second monitor plugged into the HDMI port of a laptop?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Second Monitor Playback
on Feb 6, 2017 at 10:31:53 pm

You seem to misunderstand the monitoring options. To display to a broadcast monitor or TV (client monitor), Resolve absolutely requires a Blackmagic I/O card or device. To display full screen to a computer monitor there is both a keyboard command and a menu command.

The HDMI output from your GPU card is simply another way to connect to a computer monitor, with the same functionality and color accuracy as a DVI or any other computer display connection.

For accurate color display for professional color correction and grading you must use one of the Blackmagic devices I mentioned above with a calibrated TV or broadcast monitor.

Make sense???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Feb 6, 2017 at 10:58:28 pm

I do understand the concept.

My job here isn't to create the most precise, broadcast-ready color. I used to be able to use a Blackmagic Intensity card in my older computer (a Mac Pro Tower) to to to an HDMI monitor and view the picture full screen. (And I am aware that it is not the best way to go either.) Apparently I cannot do that without a breakout box. The full screen option is not really convenient for doing the work.

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Feb 7, 2017 at 12:47:01 am

Just ordered an Intensity Shuttle. Hope that does the trick.

Return to posts index

PHil Side
on Jul 17, 2017 at 5:54:59 am

[David Roth Weiss] "For accurate color display for professional color correction and grading you must use one of the Blackmagic devices I mentioned above with a calibrated TV or broadcast monitor."

Hi, I can't see the list of devices you are referring to. I'm looking to attach an external monitor to a Windows laptop. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sam Bouckaert
on Apr 15, 2019 at 7:32:52 pm

Hi David

I 'm also currently searching or the "mercury playback" counterpart in Resolve.
And while I'm glad you mention that " there is both a keyboard command and a menu command" it would have been extremely helpful if you could've just included the commands, don't you agree?

I don't mind going through menu's to find something, but if you know where it is, why keep it from us...?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 15, 2019 at 8:41:21 pm

Wow!

I'm sitting in a park bench right now, and I too know there is a keyboard command for these, but I'm not sure off the top of my head what they are, because I don't actually use them ...shall I run back to my suite and look them up for you before I continue with this post?

Glenn

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 15, 2019 at 10:08:10 pm

Hi Sam,

"I don't mind going through menu's to find something, but if you know where it is, why keep it from us...?"

Well, I'm not David, but following this thread, it appears you are being a bit rude! The OP question wasn't about keyboard or menu commands, he was just mentioning it, so why would he unnecessarily include it? If you don't mind looking in the manual, what is the big beef? But to prevent a war, Ctrl+F if you are on Windows.

And, he answer the OP in his reply!

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 15, 2019 at 11:32:10 pm

Given you can customize your keyboard commands and menus might have changed over the two years since David's reply, you can search for any command in Keyboard Customization. You'll find that in the top left 'Davinci Resolve' Tab drop down menu. The manual is under the 'Help' tab

Return to posts index

Sam Bouckaert
on Apr 16, 2019 at 5:10:43 am

Hi all

Reading back my post, I realise that it does come across a bit rude, which was not my intention...
English is not my first language, so my choice of words could have been better...
I didn't mean to offend anyone.

That being said, I think that David didn't really address OP's question. OP is talking about fullscreen playback on an additional monitor (much like mercury transmit does on premiere). The crtl/cmd-F command just makes resolve play the video fullscreen on your main monitor, a command I knew allready.

I think that's the reason I was a bit frustrated. I have been looking foor a way to view my timeline video fullscreen on the TV connected to my computer, but have been unable to find how to do it in Resolve.
And then I read here that there would be a simple keyboard shortcut to do so, and naturally I could not find it, since the crtl/cmd-F command doesn't really do that.

But again, my sincere apologies if I came across as rude. Didn't mean to do that!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 16, 2019 at 5:28:57 am

The easiest way to have a third full screen display is via a Decklink card. That way you can get a correct signal to a monitor for grading, either via SDI or HDMI, depending on the features of the Decklink card.

Blackmagic make these cards and they are the only ones that work properly with Resolve. It's one way they can make some money out of free or otherwise cheap software.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 16, 2019 at 3:22:30 pm

Hi Sam,

Actually David did explain in his post, "You seem to misunderstand the monitoring options. To display to a broadcast monitor or TV (client monitor), Resolve absolutely requires a Blackmagic I/O card or device." in this part he explains the way to connect a second monitor for the purpose of grading or displaying. "To display full screen to a computer monitor there is both a keyboard command and a menu command." in this part he explains how to get the full screen on a computer monitor, which you are already aware.

If you want to have a second monitor to see the preview without covering the Resolve display on your computer monitor, then you need the Blackmagic card.

If you want more real estate to enlarge the viewer, you can go Workspace > Dual Screen > On, then Workspace > Dual Screen > Full Screen Timeline. This will utilize both your computer monitors and allow you to enlarge the size of the Viewer, yet keep (actually) gain timeline space. But, perhaps you are a ware of this.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 16, 2019 at 3:51:13 pm

Thanks for defending me so eloquently George, I guess it’s impossible to retire gracefully on the Internet, as every word we ever posted will remain in play forever. I guess long after I’m dead there will be people questioning my posts no matter how helpful I tried to be throughout my nearly twenty years of trying to provide useful solutions.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Sam Bouckaert
on Apr 16, 2019 at 4:16:35 pm

Yeah I guess I really made a fool out of myself on this occasion...
Missreading a post ànd reacting too harshly on it... Way to go me...

You did in fact explain how things work in Resolve, I missed that and thought I read about a solution to something I had been overlooking, which was not the case...

David, George, my apologies to you both.

Regards

Sam

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 16, 2019 at 4:47:50 pm

Hi Sam,

That is a very well written and respectful post. I'm glad we got it sorted out and appreciate your apology. I realize 2nd languages can cause us to trip occasionally. I try to avoid posting in other than English, because when I do I need an online translator and then wonder how I come off in a language I do not understand. So you do much better writing in English than I would do writing in your first language.

And, although you may not be familiar with this, my first language is Redneck, and I have been known to often slaughter the English language!!

Again, Thank You for your reply.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 16, 2019 at 4:41:24 pm

Hi David,

I hope you are enjoying your retirement. Often I do extensive searches in COW and whenever your post come up I have always found them to be on point, very helpful, and professional. I wish you the best.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Apr 16, 2019 at 5:19:35 pm

I use a BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4K card with Windows PC - but you can get .....

Full Screen 'Viewer' on second display..

Nobe Display is a virtual display plugin that works with DaVinci Resolve™.
The main purpose of the application is to mirror the preview and allow to
place it anywhere in your desktop. It enables you to have a picture preview
in the external monitor without using extra hardware.

https://timeinpixels.com/nobe-display/

https://timeinpixels.com/nobe-display-faq/

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 16, 2019 at 7:28:10 pm

Thank You Ole for that information and link, good to know and seems to work well for what it does.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]