FORUMS: list search recent posts

Second Monitor Playback

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alec gitelman
Second Monitor Playback
on Feb 6, 2017 at 9:44:37 pm

Hello,

I haven't worked in Resolve since a few versions back, and I remember that for full screen playback on a second monitor I needed to run it through a Blackmagic I/O device. Is that still the case? Is there a way I could do this, or something similar with a second monitor plugged into the HDMI port of a laptop?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Second Monitor Playback
on Feb 6, 2017 at 10:31:53 pm

You seem to misunderstand the monitoring options. To display to a broadcast monitor or TV (client monitor), Resolve absolutely requires a Blackmagic I/O card or device. To display full screen to a computer monitor there is both a keyboard command and a menu command.

The HDMI output from your GPU card is simply another way to connect to a computer monitor, with the same functionality and color accuracy as a DVI or any other computer display connection.

For accurate color display for professional color correction and grading you must use one of the Blackmagic devices I mentioned above with a calibrated TV or broadcast monitor.

Make sense???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Feb 6, 2017 at 10:58:28 pm

I do understand the concept.

My job here isn't to create the most precise, broadcast-ready color. I used to be able to use a Blackmagic Intensity card in my older computer (a Mac Pro Tower) to to to an HDMI monitor and view the picture full screen. (And I am aware that it is not the best way to go either.) Apparently I cannot do that without a breakout box. The full screen option is not really convenient for doing the work.

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Feb 7, 2017 at 12:47:01 am

Just ordered an Intensity Shuttle. Hope that does the trick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]