Lens and Raw corrections in Timeline-clips vs Clips

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adriano Castaldini
Lens and Raw corrections in Timeline-clips vs Clips
on Feb 3, 2017 at 6:39:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm right now the lucky owner of a Davinci Studio license ☺
Anyway, I noticed that it's possible to correct things like Lens distortion and Camera Raw values both in "Timelined" clips and "original" clips as well.
Is there any difference between applying those corrections directly on the clips instead of doing the same on timeline-clips?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Lens and Raw corrections in Timeline-clips vs Clips
on Feb 4, 2017 at 6:27:07 pm

[Adriano Castaldini] "Is there any difference between applying those corrections directly on the clips instead of doing the same on timeline-clips?"

It probably doesn't matter much if they are relatively static compositions. If there is a lot of motion in the shot, or camera reframing, it might be a better strategy to deal with the specific trim selection in the edit/color timeline.

There would be a definite advantage in getting this kind of adjustment out of the way as soon as possible. Either in the browser or the first or second adjustment node, depending on the application of a colorspace LUT. If you intend on doing much tracking or stabilization, you do need to set the geometry before invoking any of those other grade-related operations, as they are not hierarchically linked or parented. That is, if you have performed a stabilization or tracked a window to follow an object in the frame -- if you re-define the geometry with some other operation like lens correction or a stabilization, the window track will not automatically take that into account.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Feb 5, 2017 at 12:34:48 am

Thanks for the quick replay, Mr. Owens. But surely I badly defined my question: what I tried to ask was simpler in my mind.
Let me try to better formulate my question:
We have 2 case:
1. Let say you are in Edit tab, you have a timeline (we call it mother) full of raw-clips, and you go to Color tab for changing some Camera Raw settings.
2. Now let say you are in Edit tab again, but this time your mother-timeline is full of many timelines (previously done, we call them children: they contain previously edited clips), then you go to Color tab for changing the same Camera Raw settings.

My question is: which is the difference between changing Camera Raw settings in Color tab directly to the clips, or to timeline-nested-preedited clips?

I ask this because for my (first and surely artless) workflow I prefer to edit any clip into its own mini-timeline, and then add all these mini-timelines together into a bigger final timeline. But my doubt is: when you apply some Camera Raw settings changes to a timeline (instead of a clip) do I obtain the same result than applying the same Raw changes to a clip?

Thanks really a lot for your patience.

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Feb 5, 2017 at 12:56:19 am

I think I found the answer by myself...
I CAN'T control Camera Raw settings of a Timeline containing a nested pre-edited raw-clip! It seemed possible to me because if your mother-timeline contains both raw-clips and timelines (with nested clips), Davinci activates the Camera Raw settings, but it's a fake: if you try to modify the raw settings of a nested clip, Davinci crashes.
So, I will continue to make my little timelines nesting edited clips, just for maintain a certain order, but once I will put all the pre-edited clips together I will surely copy&paste each clip from the little timelines to the final timeline.
I hope that this info could help someone.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]