FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fps

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Owen Harvey
Fps
on Jan 23, 2017 at 10:33:57 am

Hi all.

This should go in the general inquiries, but I cant find that forum. So as I am using Davinci, I'll post here ☺

This is hopefully a simple question, I hope.

First off, I'm in the UK, so 25fps for me, though I do prefer the look of 24fps.

I have recorded my footage at 50fps, so I can do slow mo when suitable. I dont want to have to keep changing my setting when recording an event, so thought it best to just keep it at 50fps. Is that the right practice?

When I take the all the files into Davinci, what should I set the timeline to? Natively Davinci sets the timeline to 50fps, and the footage runs smoothly and 'normal'.

If I set the timeline to 25fps, the clip double in lengnth and play at half speed. This is expected.

My main question, and I know it sounds dumb, should I have the timeline at 25fps or 50fps? And if I need to have it at 25fps, can I get the clip to run at 'normal' speed (dropping every other frame)?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Owen

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Fps
on Jan 23, 2017 at 6:39:33 pm

[Owen Harvey] "can I get the clip to run at 'normal' speed (dropping every other frame)?"

I haven't actually tried this... can you run an experiment to re-define the fps metadata attached to your media to switch it from 50 to 25?

In the past, it was always better to establish a sequence at the predominant source media framerate. At the root process, almost all grade software was developed with sequential files in mind; hence, independent of framerate. So once the media is ingested, it is essentially treated as a sequence. This can lead to major issues with identifying trim points and time remaps if there is a discrepancy, of course. Take any 120 frames... how long it lasts depends on how fast you run them. Four seconds in NTSC... almost five in PAL or Cinema... If you set it up at 50P, you know how that goes.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 24, 2017 at 12:21:56 am

Having set the project fps to 25 and ignoring the prompt to change it when importing your 50fps footage, the simplest way to get your 50p to run as 25 (if it doesn't automatically run correctly dropping frames) is to set the speed at 200% and make sure frame blending or optical flow is turned off.

You can copy one clip, select multiple clips in the timeline and ALT V to paste attributes from the one clip to the many selected. If you paste the speed to all the clips you want to play normal speed you can quickly setup your timeline speeds

Return to posts index

Owen Harvey
on Jan 26, 2017 at 8:49:09 am

Thank you for all your help. Really appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]