FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve to Premiere Pro Archiving

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jabbar thomas
Resolve to Premiere Pro Archiving
on Jan 18, 2017 at 6:14:20 pm

Hi Folks,

I am working with a director who edited his 4K feature film in Resolve. I have been asked to take a look at his cut and make some changes. I don't know Resolve as an editor. Can I please get some information on "Copying", "Streamlining" or "Archiving" all of the media that is in his Media Pool? I also would like to transcode the copied Media from 4K to a more compact format such as H.264 at1920x1080. Finally I need to convert the Resolve Project File to a .prproj. I would like to move the media and project file from his computer to mine and work independently on my version of the cut.

I know I am asking for a lot of information--I know how to do all of this in Premiere but no matter how much I tinker, I can't figure out how to do it in Resolve.

Thanks in Advance,
Jabbar Thomas

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Resolve to Premiere Pro Archiving
on Jan 19, 2017 at 1:14:20 am

Sorry, but you can't export full projects via XML...only cuts. You can string out all the media on the timeline, and then in the DELIVERY PAGE, compress that to what you need. And you can export a sequence via XML. But will that sequence relink to that media you exported? You'll have to test...not sure it will. All the file organization done in Resolve won't be available to you. So you'll need to be organizing from scratch. Resolve doesn't export full project XMLs like Premiere can

Cutting in Resolve isn't that difficult. There are even settings for Premiere keyboard, so your keyboard commands are available to you. It just isn't as advanced as Premiere when it comes to certain features...and you won't have a lot of effects available to you. It's mainly a finisher, that can be a decent straight cutter.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Jan 19, 2017 at 1:54:19 am

Hi Shane,

Your advice is very illuminating! I think you're sensing that it would be more efficient to just edit in Resolve rather than try to move everything over. I've been playing with the Resolve editing tool and is seems like the trimming a bit like FCP X. I'll look for those Premiere Pro keyboard shortcut presets and get to work in Resolve.

Thanks,
Jabbar

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Jan 19, 2017 at 11:03:15 pm

I'd second that - if you're comfortable with Premiere it won't take you long to get used to resolve, especially as you've inherited a 'complete' project, rather than starting afresh.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Jan 20, 2017 at 2:07:57 am

Thanks, Matthew!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 20, 2017 at 3:57:07 am

[jabbar thomas] "I have been asked to take a look at his cut and make some changes. I don't know Resolve as an editor. Can I please get some information on "Copying", "Streamlining" or "Archiving" all of the media that is in his Media Pool? I also would like to transcode the copied Media from 4K to a more compact format such as H.264 at1920x1080."
The Media Management section of the manual will help you archive copies of the original 4K project files. I would suggest not archiving in H.264 or HD, but instead stick with the original 4K format for the best possible quality. Hard drives are cheap, particularly if you're just looking at 2 hours or so worth of 4K files. At most, it'll be 4TB or 5TB of camera originals, and that only costs about $150 to store these days.

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Jan 20, 2017 at 5:29:07 am

Thanks Marc!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]