FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve output

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david zimmerman
Resolve output
on Jan 9, 2017 at 8:53:31 am

Hi & I'd appreciate a little help with outputs from Resolve. (I'm a fairly new user.) I seem to have a from-screen-to-output mismatch.
I've output identical clips in fcpx10.3 and in Resolve 12.5 and the outputs are virtually identical. The problem has been, that within Resolve the clips look a fair amount darker than in fcpx and than in the outputs (maybe 3/4 stop), making grading in Resolve difficult.

The outputs are generally fine, and in fcpx they are very close to my on screen work, but in Resolve they are not.

The files are Sony 4K, the time lines are 4K in fcpx & Resolve and outputs have been ProRes422HQ. My primary monitor is a calibrated Apple Thunderbolt.

Happy to supply any additional tech info you need. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Resolve output
on Jan 9, 2017 at 5:54:22 pm

The viewer in Resolve is not accurate. Not designed to be. it's a "tool window" to see what clip is up. But it's brighter than the footage really is. The only accurate way to view when using Resolve is on an external broadcast monitor, or good HDTV, via blackmagic IO hardware.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 9, 2017 at 6:00:38 pm

[david zimmerman] "calibrated Apple Thunderbolt."

Calibrated to what and how?

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

david zimmerman
on Jan 15, 2017 at 2:18:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. After reading your replies I did some more research on color calibration for video work. I'm not new to critical color work, having done ad work for 20 years and fine art work for 20 more - but it's mostly been print work.
Increasingly I'm making films which are shown in conjunction with gallery and museum print exhibitions. My standards for the film work remain as high as they are for the print work. And, I prefer to do it myself. Also, Resolve has the tools I haven't found in other software, and so that's where I'd prefer to work.

All that said, I'd like to move forward with doing color work in Resolve, though I may be somewhat hardware challenged with what I'm currently using. I'm using a fast MacPro and a fairly large and fast raid5 with various backups to all of that, and a couple of Mac retina displays. Given that Resolve will not display grades properly within the tool interfaces, can you suggest my next step forward?

Perhaps you can point me in the right direction for hardware solutions, or even make specific recommendations. My budget at the moment is in the $5-10K range.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jan 15, 2017 at 5:27:56 pm

Hi David.

Having high standards in video color work is a good thing ☺
And you seem to have a good budget to get you there.

What MacPro are you using? the 2013 (trashcan) model?

the minimum you'll need for color accurate work is an IO card (black magic one since you plan to use resolve) and a grading monitor.

I think a lot of members here will agree with me that going for a Flanders Scientific model would be one of your safest and best choices. Their products are great, and they are great people to buy gear from.
I'd go for a DM250 or 240. http://flandersscientific.com/DM250/

there are many more tools and set up gear you can get, its endless.. but these 2 would be where you want to start, and probably all you're going to need.

hector.

Return to posts index

david zimmerman
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:04:38 am

Thanks Hector. Yup, it's a trashcan. Max ram and 2 good video cards. I'll take a look at the Flanders. I've read lots good about them, and though the DM250 may be a stretch, the 240 with a good card will keep me in budget and get me on track.

Thanks again.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]