FORUMS: list search recent posts

Putting a video in your text

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Presley Hunter
Putting a video in your text
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:14:20 pm

I have been looking for tutorials on how to put video in text. For example,a title where the text in the title has video footage showing in the letters. I have found several tutorials for premiere, but none for Resolve or Fusion. If someone could point me in the right direction it would help.

Thanks,
Presley

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Putting a video in your text
on Jan 9, 2017 at 6:04:51 pm

You need to be able to KEY it out. For example, make letters in white, and then use a LUMA KEY to key out the white. The thing is, that resolve doesn't have any built in keying ability.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 9, 2017 at 9:44:52 pm

you can create a matte for Resolve to use as a track matte...not really how i would go about it, but it probably is possible in Resolve.

Create your white only text and import it as a matte effect, not a regular clip.
Then in your node tree, you have your video and tell that node to use a track matte, and point it to your white text effect.
You might also be able to bring it in as a regular clip, put it on track 2 with an alpha output and get the desired effect, but that would take some playing around.

It may be possible

Everyone wants Resolve to do everything, but it is still a really good color corrector, and I guess the editing is coming along...haven't tried it for that yet.

For compositing and fx, look at fusion or after effects, or even Media Composer.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 10, 2017 at 2:09:14 pm

It's a real fiddle in Resolve, but easy as anything in Fusion.

In Resolve, select your video fill and create a New Fusion Connect clip and open that in Fusion.

Merge your video over a background - you don't specify what you want it to be, so I am going to assume this is a black background generator. (BTW, make sure it is the same frame size as your footage.)

Create your text (or import it if you have made it elsewhere) and use it as the Effect Mask input to the Merge. (If you are using imported text it will need an alpha channel, but if it's just black and white, you can set the Effect Mask Channel to Luminance.)

Render out the result using the Fusion Clip node that has been automatically created.

Done.

Your matted footage will now populate your Resolve timeline.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 10, 2017 at 2:18:07 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jan 10, 2017 at 2:23:50 pm

Just thought of an easy way of doing it in Resolve.

Create your text and then create a black background using the Solid Color generator.

Put this background below your text and create a compound clip of the two and place it above your video fill.

Now set the Blend Mode of the Compound Clip to Darken, and you will see the video fill through the text with black all around it.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Jan 16, 2017 at 11:35:56 am

Hi,

Another way is in the manual, page 1104 "Compositing Using the Alpha Output". In your case you have to do a luma key instead of the green screen key as Shane already suggested.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]