FORUMS: list search recent posts

eye replacement EFX (tracked eyes what's next?)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron todd
eye replacement EFX (tracked eyes what's next?)
on Jan 7, 2017 at 6:53:08 pm

Hello forum,
This is my first ever post but what better place than here to get my questions answered. Im doing EFX on a music video and in one shot I'm attempting to replace the talents eyes with a clip of B+W hypnotic spiral for a cool effect. This is what I have done so far,in the edit area I layered the talent clip (transparency) and beneath it the spiral clip on the timeline. In the color area I created a serial node and placed a window for each eye and tracked..I then turned each window into a bezier window and shaped each window to the exact shape of the talents eyes....I scrubbed through the clip adjusting the shape until perfect and now here is the problem..I'm new to resolve so my logic was to turn the eye area to a transparency and zoom into the center of the pin wheel and paste the tracking data from the eye windows so that the pinwheel stayed center to the eyes. render out the clip and do it again for the second eye using the pasted tracking data...It's not working I cannot get the pinwheel to move with the windows and when I resize and make a window on the center of the wheel and paste the tracking data from the eyes it doesn't do a thing it stays on the same place...I'm fairly new to these types of effects and resolve as well... below is a picture of what I'm trying to achieve from a music video with the exact same effect

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: eye replacement EFX (tracked eyes what's next?)
on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:14:54 pm

My advice would be to learn about fusion.
Yes resolve has some compositing capabilities, but that is not what it is built for.
Can this be done in resolve? I would assume so, but again, not as intuitive for it.

In Fusion you would track the eyes, plug that track data into the fx version of the eyes, merge the 3 items together and Render. (a bit simplistic of an explaination, but...)

In your situation, how many spiral clips are you using. It sounds like you have 1 large spiral effect on the bottom layer, and thats it? Or do you have a double spiral on layer 1 and you are hoping to track both at the same time to different eyes?

I would try putting the girl on the bottom, a spiral on both the v2 and v3 tracks.
lower their transparency and resize/position them so the first frame of the shots are all lining up how you want them.
then put the transparency back to normal.
You should be able to copy the tracking data from the left eye to V2 and the right eye to V3
You will also need to tell resolve to composite these clips onto each other. (again, this is where i would typically just say screw it, and go to fusion) In Resolve, i think you have to create alpha channels in your node tree, and export those key channels on each clip so that they show through to the lower levels. Just because you have stacks of video in resolve, doesn't mean 1 clip shows through to the next. (unless something has changed recently)

Do a search for some basic tracking tutorials in fusion, and i think you will be off to the races.

Glenn

Return to posts index

ron todd
Re: eye replacement EFX (tracked eyes what's next?)
on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:32:55 pm

Thank you very much for your response...I was at a point of saying screw it because the eyes were tracked perfectly so it should have been a simple matter of turning them into a transparency (which was simple) and then placing the spiral dead center to the eye then making a window for the spita so that it didn't overlay on the second spiral (v3) but I had to manually key Frame the spirals with the resize so I managed to get the effect. I was working for but not as smooth as it could have been...I will check out this fusion it sounds like a a good alternative to after effects...The reason I'm trying to Learn resolve now is because of a certain monthly fee..I'm not to fond of

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]