FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is output blanking destructive or non destructive

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Marce
Is output blanking destructive or non destructive
on Jan 6, 2017 at 6:32:25 pm

Is output blanking in Resolve destructive or non destructive?
And is it better to design letterbox in GIMP or Photoshop and place it over the Resolve timeline or just apply output blanking from Resolve's menu only..?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Is output blanking destructive or non destructive
on Jan 6, 2017 at 7:49:39 pm

I did a full feature recently using the 2:35:1 crop.
I can do a test but I honestly think its easier setting the output blanking on the whole project.
I was doing the masking in NLE but it was annoying having to lug an extra track.

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:56:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Eric.
If you can do the test it would be a really great.. Wanna be sure... I know and you're right its really easy setting the output blanking on the whole project.. That's what I'm inclined for too.. but.. wanna b sure.. Having said that though, i wouldn't mind doing something a little time consuming option rather than the easy one, if the time consuming option is better..
Does the output banking reduce the overall resolution..?
By the way which movie did you edit..? I mean is it released and all?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 6, 2017 at 9:20:49 pm

[Steve Marce] "destructive or non destructive?"

To what? It masks the output. Are you worried about pan-and scan applied to the source timeline behind the holdback?

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:44:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Joseph.
To the video...
I mean is output blanking the same as putting a .jpg letterbox image template on the topmost video track?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 8, 2017 at 6:04:08 pm

And also, if once applied, the output blanking, can we unapply it later..? Without any reduction in the resolution of the video whatsoever..

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 8, 2017 at 6:11:16 pm

[Steve Marce] "if once applied, the output blanking, can we unapply it later..? "

Yes, within the exporting application. Once it is "baked into" an export file, no.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 9, 2017 at 1:50:44 pm

Thnx Joseph!!
Can u also tell me how..?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 9, 2017 at 9:54:17 pm

Steve, once you output a show, everything is baked in. Blanking is no different. You now have a black bar on the top and bottom of your final output.

If you want to do more work on the show, or change the frame size further, you would go back into the original project, with all the original media attached...like you had never output it in the first place, turn off the blanking, do your tweaks, turn on any new blanking you wanted, and do a new output. That new output would now be baked in.

The term destructive and non-destructive usually refer to you continuing to work in the project, and whether or not corrections, or moves or what ever you have done during your process can be undone. Once you output, you are done.
If you want more than 1 formatted version, you do that all from your master project.

If you reimport your output file, and try to work on it, and tweak it, then you have lost some of your resolution, and any further changes you do could quite easily take it down even further in quality, depending on what you are doing.

Your other option is to output a full screen master and then use that for any future pan and scan versions....including a 2:35 version, or something similar.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 12, 2017 at 3:35:48 pm

So, Glenn, if i apply the blanking in my project and later if i want to say change the size of the blanking or remove it, whatever, and let's say if i remove it in the project, then does that removing or changing the blanking alter my video files in project in any way..? The resolution of the video clips in the project, the project's timeline..
I mean its non destructive, right..?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 12, 2017 at 5:40:09 pm

Yes of course.

Turn on blanking, turn off blanking, change the amount of blanking at will.

What you render out will have it baked in, but as long as you keep your source material, and project in tact, you can always go back and change it and re render it with different settings.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 15, 2017 at 7:29:28 am

If you do (say) a 1920x1080 project with 2.40 blanking, you could always choose to render it without blanking at 1920x800. This will give you the same visual area, but with no pixels wasted on blanking. This can work for home video and streaming in some cases.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]