FORUMS: list search recent posts

Double clicking a clip in the timeline brings it to the source monitor with its in and out points, how to drag it from the source monitor again and bring it to the timeline as a separate copy of the clip

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Marce
Double clicking a clip in the timeline brings it to the source monitor with its in and out points, how to drag it from the source monitor again and bring it to the timeline as a separate copy of the clip
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:21:50 pm
Last Edited By Steve Marce on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:23:24 pm

Hello there,
I imported an xml file (created the xml file from premiere pro cs6) into davinci resolve; i let resolve decide the settings of the imported xml. Now the audio of the clips got imported as two separate mono tracks, each in a separate track on the timeline!
Now i created a new project in Resolve and saw the edit index of the clips in the xml imported project and then individually marked in and out points of the clips by first bringing those clips, one by one, in the media pool, and then dragged it from the source monitor to the timeline (in the new project). I did it for every clip individually by noting the in and out times of every clip and then marking in and out points and then bringing it to the timeline in the new project, this ways i get to have the audio of the clips as stereo track as it was originally in premiere pro where i created the xml file....
Anyways this is taking too long to get done.
But when i double click a clip in the timeline it appears in the source viewer with the in and out points marked for the duration of which the clip is on the timeline, but then i cannot drag it back from the source monitor to the timeline...
How to drag it back to the timeline as a separate clip in the timeline..?
I ask this coz if i copy paste the edited sequences from the xml file imported in resolve to the new project and if i double click a clip in the timeline it will open that clip in the source monitor and maybe if i drag the clip back to the timeline it can come with a single stereo audio track on the timeline (coz the imported clips in the xml had separate mono tracks of the stereo audio). I can't even drag it from the source monitor to a different timeline of the same project...

Appreciate any help on this..

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Double clicking a clip in the timeline brings it to the source monitor with its in and out points, how to drag it from the source monitor again and bring it to the timeline as a separate copy of the clip
on Jan 4, 2017 at 9:11:10 pm

Sorry, are you trying to clone a clip on the timeline?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
Re: Double clicking a clip in the timeline brings it to the source monitor with its in and out points, how to drag it from the source monitor again and bring it to the timeline as a separate copy of the clip
on Jan 4, 2017 at 10:58:52 pm

@ Joseph Owens
Yeah I'm trying to get the original stereo audio track in the timeline as opposed to the two mono tracks of the original stereo track.
Basically when i imported the xml into Resolve the single stereo audio track was imported as two separate mono tracks.. It should be imported as a single stereo track as it was in my project originally.. I don't know but for some wierd reason it got imported as two separate mono tracks! So now what I'm doing is, I created a new project in Resolve, and i'm rebuilding my timeline from scratch coz other than this audio track problem, the titles, transitions etc were also not imported.. So there was no option other than to build the timeline from scratch. And now I bring the original clips (rushes) to the new project by first putting them from the explorer into the media pool and then open each clip in the source monitor, then mark the in and out points by looking at the edit index of the clips, one by one, from the imported xml project and then after marking the in and out points of the clips, in the new project, i drag it from the source monitor to the timelime (of the new project). But this is taking forever to get done! But I found that if I double click on a clip in the timeline (clip of an edited sequence) it opens in the source viewer with its in and out points of the clip's duration on the timeline; so i thought if i copy paste the edited sequences from the imported xml project to the new project i created, where i'm rebuilding my timeline, and remember the clips imported in the xml had mono audio tracks instead of the single stereo track, and after pasting those edited sequences to the timeline of the new project, if i then double click on the clips of the edited sequences on the timeline, every time I double click a clip on the timeline it will get opened on the source viewer with the in and out points already marked according to the duration of that clip on the timeline, and now if i drag it again from the source viewer to the timeline i'll now have the edited duration of the clip brought to the timeline with its original linked stereo audio track!
but i can't drag it back to the timeline so that a new (copy) instance of the clip is created on the timeline, this time with stereo track, coz now maybe the portion of the clip dragged to the timeline is from the original clip like how we normally drag a clip from the source viewer to the timeline and it comes with original embedded audio track. Coz if it can be done this ways it'll save me days of unnecessary work of jotting down the in and out points of the clips in my edited sequences from the edit index of the imported xml project and then marking the same in and out points of every clip individually and bring them one by one to the timeline of the new project that i created.. But it is not happening coz when i double click a clip on the timeline it opens in the source monitor but can't be brought back to the timeline.. I also tried creating a new timeline so that i paste the sequences from imported xml project onto one timeline and then after double clicking a clip from the timeline and it gets opened in the source monitor then dragging the clip to the new timeline...
So.. I need help with this to know is there a way i can bring the clips from source monitor to the timeline..?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jan 4, 2017 at 9:21:56 pm

You want to paste the clip with its original audio to the timeline? One way to do it is to press F when you're at the beginning of the clip(on your XML timeline), then drag the clip to the program monitor, and choose "overwrite". Make sure you have the correct tracks selected (for example V1 and A1 highlighted with a red square.. just double click those tracks). You can proceed through the edit like this.. shouldn't take very long.

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 6, 2017 at 6:08:51 pm

Thanks Timo for your reply!
Will give it a try.

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 7, 2017 at 8:46:14 pm

Have you tried fighting with...er i mean playing with Resolves clip attributes for the mono source files (switch them to stereo) and or the timeline tracks, switch them from 1.0 mono to 2.0 stereo.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 8, 2017 at 2:02:48 pm

Hey Glenn! Thanx for replying.
The thing is that the stereo track was imported as two separate mono tracks so the track could be converted to stereo and so could the attributes but the thing is that, that one mono track does not hold all the details of the sound original stereo track.. So.. I guess converting the mono track to stereo would not include the details which are in the second, the other imported mono track of the stereo audio...
Anyways to answer your question, no, i haven't tried doing that, coz i don't think it would do what i'm looking for..for the above mentioned reason..
But really thanx for the help. Appreciate it!
And yeah, i got my solution! Its called match frame process! Thus has solved my issue.

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 8, 2017 at 1:51:22 pm

Man!! Timo Teravainen, you are the man!! Thanx a ton!
You got it exactly what I was looking for! This is what I was looking for, precisely this.
I was also going through the Resolve's reference manual (before i tried what you suggested) and came across this process you told, which is called 'match frame', now i know..
Anyways I already made a new project,while i was looking for another way and was initially doing the lengthy process, so now I'm continuing within the new project only and copy/pasting the clips from the xml to the new project and building my timeline by replacing the mono audio tracks with the original media using this match frame process.
But there's one more thing that I would like to know, that, is the video also replaced by the original source video..? I mean the clip's video in the video track also replaced by the original source video, along with the source audio, or is it only the audio which gets replaced with the original audio? In Resolve's manual its said that by this match frame process you can get the clip in the timeline replaced with the original source media, which i believe includes the video too... But just to make sure...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:58:52 pm

Man!! Timo Teravainen, you are the man!! Thanx a ton!
You got it exactly what I was looking for! This is what I was looking for, precisely this.
I was also going through the Resolve's reference manual (before i tried what you suggested) and came across this process you told, which is called 'match frame', now i know..
Anyways I already made a new project,while i was looking for another way and was initially doing the lengthy process, so now I'm continuing within the new project only and copy/pasting the clips from the xml to the new project and building my timeline by replacing the mono audio tracks with the original media using this match frame process.
But there's one more thing that I would like to know, that, is the video also replaced by the original source video..? I mean the clip's video in the video track also replaced by the original source video, along with the source audio, or is it only the audio which gets replaced with the original audio? In Resolve's manual its said that by this match frame process you can get the clip in the timeline replaced with the original source media, which i believe includes the video too... But just to make sure...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Jan 8, 2017 at 6:01:51 pm

Hey man! I posted you a reply but somehow its not getting posted below your message.. Its getting posted as a separate message, in this thread only, but as a separate message..

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]