FORUMS: list search recent posts

RESOLVE vs. RESOLVE Studio

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Durham
RESOLVE vs. RESOLVE Studio
on Dec 29, 2016 at 4:55:00 pm

Big thanks to the coloring pros for their time/insights. Thinking of using Resolve to color a little indie feature...

The non-Studio version seems amazing powerful. In looking at the comparison chart, the only limitations seem to be:

- no stereoscopic
- limited realtime effects
- no noise reduction/grain tools
- limited to UHD (in the BlackMagic-verse I believe that's 3840 x 2160, as opposed to DCI 4k 4096 x 2160)
- seems to be some limit to how many GPUs it can use. I'll be on a powerful Windows machine with 2 GTX 1080's (in addition to BlackMagic Mini Monitor 4k for 10-bit monitoring on reference monitor)

Not bad for a nearly-free program! I assume the versions you get when you buy BM products are fully functioning? Any big obstacles I will discover with the non-Studio version?

================================================
TOMDURHAM.COM
Writing, Indie Filmmaking
Sci-fi, Fantasy, Anything Else That's Cool

http://www.95ers.com
http://www.SpaceAceMedia.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: RESOLVE vs. RESOLVE Studio
on Dec 29, 2016 at 5:20:17 pm

i believe the free version is unable to use ofx plugins as well. (as well as the mac app store version?)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Robert Olding
on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:52:31 pm

Hi Glenn ... I'm not sure about the free version from the Mac App Store, but I was able to get a third party OFX plugin to work with the Mac App Store Studio version of Resolve. It's a bit of a pain but here are the steps I took:

I got Tom's False Color 2 OFX plugin to work with the Studio version of DaVinci Resolve purchased on the Mac App Store by modifying the permissions of the folder that the plugin installer created. This is currently the only OFX plugin that I use so I'm not able to say if this will work for others.

The installation of Tom's False Color 2 OFX plugin on macOS Sierra creates a locked folder in the main Library folder on macOS Sierra ( /Library/OFX/Plugins ). This “Plugins” folder is locked by permissions and can’t be opened untill you change the permissions.

1. Open the main Library folder of your Mac. MacintoshHD/Library

2. Locate and open the “OFX” folder.

3. Select the “Plugins” folder and choose “Get Info” from the Finder’s “File” menu bar.

4. Once the info window opens, click on the lock icon on the bottom right corner and enter your password to give you admin access to the “Sharing & Permissions” section.

5. Once unlocked, click on the + icon on the bottom left of the info window and from the drop down menu, select your username from the list to add it to the “Name” section of “Sharing & Permissions”.

6. Under the “Privilege” section of the “Sharing & Permissions” section, change the privileges to “Read & Write” for all the names listed.

7. Starting with the first name listed, select it, then click on the gear icon at the bottom of the info window. Choose “Apply to enclosed items…” and selet “OK” form the window that pops open.

8. Close the info window.

This OFX folder needs to be seen by the App Store version of DaVinci Resolve. Keep the main “Library” window open so you can see and access the “OFX” folder inside it.

1. In a different window, open your User Library folder ( /Users/username/Library ).
Normally this is hidden by macOS Sierra. To access it, hold the option key on your keyboard and it should show up in the “Go” menu from the Finder menu bar. ( This is weird but one of my computers uses the “command” key while another uses the “shift” key. )

2. Inside your User Library folder, open the “Containers” folder. ( /Users/username/Library/Containers )

3. Inside your “Containers” folder, open the “com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore” folder.

4. Inside the “com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore” folder, open the “Data” folder.

5. Inside the “Data” folder, open the “Library” folder.

6. From your main Library folder, select the “OFX” folder and option-key drag it into the “Library” folder from the “Data” flolder. This makes an alias of the original OFX folder that DaVinci Resolve will now see.

That should do it for you. Your Mac App Store version of DaVinci Resolve should now be able to access your OFX plugins.

Robert Olding
http://www.8streetstudio.com
Minneapolis, MN

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Dec 29, 2016 at 5:35:07 pm

On Windows, there is no Prores encoding.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 29, 2016 at 9:10:41 pm

There's no ProRes encoding on Windows with ANY version...Windows doesn't encode ProRes. I think there is ONE helper app that will do it. Or are you saying that Resolve Studio on Windows DOES ENCODE to ProRes? If so, then my reason for sticking to Mac has now been killed...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 30, 2016 at 2:19:54 am

Spend the money and pay for the Studio version. Having access to noise-reduction, sharpening, motion blurring, OFX, and 4K and up resolution is extremely useful. The old adage "nothing good is ever free, and vice-versa" particularly applies to post-production.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 30, 2016 at 3:00:50 pm

Shane, your purchase of a mac is still in play. There is no ProRes output from resolve on a windows box...any version.

I've had Miriazon prores on my boxes for years to make ProRes, but I don't think Resolve even sees those.

I have Switch (pro) which will allow me to convert some files to ProRes, but I still see gamma shifts. (slight but still there)
plus the matrix of what you can and can't convert with it is a bit confusing.

Hyperdeck studio is my prefered method to create a prores file. Perfect picture every time.

Having said that, I just purchased a used Imac which sits in the back room, has a second dongle for Resolve studio, and just finished creating a prores master for me. I will be checking it today for gamma shifts.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]