FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not cutting it when the cutting gets tight?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Not cutting it when the cutting gets tight?
on Dec 27, 2016 at 2:11:48 am

I'm editing on a 16GB mid-2014 MBPro with solid state system drive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 RAM, OSX 10.10.5 (Yosemite), and a CalDigit T4 RAID (with 3TB free). The only oddity in my system is that I use HDMI out to light up a large external monitor.

When the material I'm editing requires tight edits (typically interviews with lots of ums and uhs), I find Resolve 12.5 too frustrating to use. The program starts and stops. Not to get too airy-fairy, but when you constantly find yourself halted by the machine, it's very hard to get into the flow of editing.

So, after an honest effort to use Resolve, I'm shelving it for now, in favor of good old FCP7. On my system, FCP7 also has its problems with hiccups, but they aren't as frequent.

I was just curious as to whether anyone else in a similar situation has had that experience.

Am I asking too much of my MBPro? Or am I asking too much of Resolve - that it be a great NLE on top of its color correcting and output capacities? If so, how will I know when it's safe to go back to Resolve? Every time I try it, it takes a little time to reacquaint myself with it, so there is a cost (despite the free download!).

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Not cutting it when the cutting gets tight?
on Dec 27, 2016 at 12:27:15 pm

My opinion is that laptops aren't ideal for Resolve. I think you need a heftier CPU, more GPUs, and much more RAM. Resolve is demanding when it comes to hardware.

I do think you can use lower-res proxies, like ProRes 422 HD or something, and that can work up to a point.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 27, 2016 at 10:35:10 pm

[Marc Wielage] " you can use lower-res proxies"

I guess you are saying that, if the data rate is low enough, Resolve is capable of fine-grained editing. Would you be able to use that low-res proxy in color correction, and then, match-back to the original footage for finishing?

That seems viable, except that I tend to use After Effects in almost every project. But even then -- okay, it's worth a shot.

I have not tried using low-res proxies; it seems like a great idea, and I would be extremely interested in the experiences of anyone who has.

Joseph, do you think that would work?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 27, 2016 at 6:40:57 pm

The notion of re-purposing a grading application for editing -- in particular dialogue editing - for me at least is falling into the category of *lipstick on a pig.* The whole media engine that Resolve deploys is not the same as the other NLEs in that it really sets it up to be reconstructed -- kind of conceptually from what in science we refer to as *first principles* so it is not that efficient -- the way the strict playback software works. Imagine if you had to work out the law of gravity and musculo-skeletal kinematics of bipedal locomotion every time you took a step, strolling down to the corner pharmacy. No thanks, maybe I'll phone it in.

OTOH not that many NLEs can do real-time color correction.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 27, 2016 at 10:35:49 pm

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro which runs FCPX flawlessly using 1080P ProRes 422 footage. I use Color Finale Pro for grading. It's a terrific app that has color wheels and vector color as well. If you want, you can save presets (grades) and/or group clips so if you change one, they all change. I control it (and a MacPro) with the new Tangent Ripple panel. It's a terrific solution.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 27, 2016 at 11:10:34 pm

[Joseph Owens] "The notion of re-purposing a grading application for editing -- in particular dialogue editing - for me at least is falling into the category of *lipstick on a pig.*"
I don't think it's quite that bad, Joe, but I would agree that Resolve is a color-correction program first and an editing program second. I think if you throw enough hardware at it, it could actually be used for editing... maybe not a vast documentary with 2000 hours' of material, and maybe not a 20-camera live concert, but for smaller projects, it could work. My hope is that it will only get better over time.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 28, 2016 at 7:07:08 pm

[Marc Wielage] "I don't think it's quite that bad"

No, its not, and I do use the application for *some* editing tasks. No takers from my close field of collaborating editors, though.

Dialogue editing is just bad in any video-frame based application because the edit-resolution is determined by the fps rate and not the sample rate. Because the universal frame rate is clustered around 24 fps, waiting for another 0.04167 seconds to pick up or eliminate a "buh" or a "duh" is too long to allow, and I want it on a zero crossing. Maybe with a Fairlight link, export or plugin. 😃😃🙈🙉🙊

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Dec 28, 2016 at 1:26:50 am

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

> The program starts and stops

Could you please explain what you mean by "stops"? Is it that the UI is freezing on you, and then it becomes active again after a while, if yes how long?

Or is it that Resolve crashes, and you have to restart the app again?

Also, what clips are you using for the edit? (resolution, format etc)

Thanks,
Rohit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]