FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for renaming clips -- okay to rename in Finder?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jen Bradwell
Workflow for renaming clips -- okay to rename in Finder?
on Dec 12, 2016 at 6:30:04 pm

I'm receiving footage for a documentary so far shot on 8 different cameras (including FS7, C300, Z100, A7S). I'm interested in appending clip names to reflect the shoot date and camera #. I also have some cards with duplicate filenames (like C0001, C0002, etc.) I'm cutting in Premiere but transcoding proxies in Resolve since that's what we'll be onlining in and I hear Resolve tends to see spanned clips differently than Premiere does.

My question is, is it okay to rename clips at the Finder level before bringing them into Resolve for transcoding? It's so much easier to do this as a batch process at that level, and then the raw file names should match the proxies. Plus I found a sweet little utility that can copy the folder structure...

I've tested this with one FS7 card so far and Resolve seems to at least see the timecode of the raw clips just fine.

Thanks for any workflow advice here!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Workflow for renaming clips -- okay to rename in Finder?
on Dec 12, 2016 at 7:37:03 pm

Couple of things to be aware of.

As you stated, make sure you do any renaming before you do your proxies. Renaming after the originals after the initial transcode session will be a disaster.

You could also create a folder structure based on the shoot dates, this way you aren't interfering with any original metadata.

I'm not sure if you can rename the spanned C300 clips and get them to work properly. That would be a testing situation. C300 is pretty picky about its directory structure and index file, and as you've stated, Resolve doesn't always play nice with spanned clips. I've had the same issue you are presented with ...matching file names over different clips, but i've only created a new high res "master" file- say as a ProRes or something like that, renamed it, and then treated that ProRes as my camera original before transcoding. Again, not sure if you can rename some of those spanned clips properly, and keep the integrity of the folders.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jen Bradwell
Re: Workflow for renaming clips -- okay to rename in Finder?
on Dec 13, 2016 at 4:23:32 am

Thanks for that insight and your quick response, Glenn!

We'll make a new ProRes master of the spanned clips with no LUT and a proxy of that with one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]