FORUMS: list search recent posts

Length of Transitions

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Brown
Length of Transitions
on Dec 11, 2016 at 5:14:32 pm

Hello

Newby to Davinci Resolve and I have an issue with the Duration lengths of the Video Transitions.

I have a video project with 4 videos, 10 minutes each in one timeline. I want to add a 10 second duration Cross Dissolve Video Transition between each video. I can add the first 2 Video Transitions with a 10 second duration no problem but when I add the third, the duration time length is only 1.1 seconds and I cannot make it longer. Why is this?

This time limit happens with any of the other transitions also. All the properties of the of the video transitions duration's is the same. I do not have this issue with the audio transitions.

I am new to Davinci Resolve so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Todd

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Length of Transitions
on Dec 11, 2016 at 5:27:51 pm

Are you sure there is enough media on both sides to create the transition?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Todd Brown
on Dec 11, 2016 at 5:37:36 pm

Thanks for replying.

Each video is 10 minutes long and all the videos are the same length. The first 2 transitions I can make 10 seconds long no problem, it is always the last transition. I even removed the first 2 and I still cannot extend the time length.

Todd

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 11, 2016 at 5:41:29 pm

What I meant is that this normally occurs because there is not enough overlapping material to create the transition.

If you want to 10 second dissolve between two clips, you need at least 5 seconds extra on the end of the outgoing clip and at least 5 seconds extra on the front of the incoming clip. Its sounds as though one of your clips doesn't meet these criteria.

The other possibility is that you are using nests?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Todd Brown
on Dec 11, 2016 at 7:04:08 pm

Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I am new to Davinci...

If I understand you correctly, I have all my transitions centered on edit so 5 seconds per side between videos each video is 10 minutes long, 4 videos total and the first 2 transitions there is no problem with the length. Do I get this correctly?

I only have 1 timeline so I am not nesting anything together.

I am attaching screenshots, maybe you can see something

Thanks again

Todd

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 11, 2016 at 7:18:07 pm

Does this explain it better?

If you were to offset your outgoing and incoming clips onto two separate tracks, as I have done here, you should be able to find 5 seconds before the transition centre point on the incoming clip, and 5 seconds after the transition on the outgoing clip.

If you cannot find those extra five seconds in each case, your transition cannot be the full 10 seconds long. The upshot of that is that you move your outgoing clip earlier on the timeline (shortening your overall sequence in the process). You can do this by ripple trimming either the head of the incoming clip or the tail of the outgoing clip as appropriate until you have the required 5 second handles.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Todd Brown
on Dec 12, 2016 at 12:58:18 pm

That did it! Makes sense now.

Sorry for all the misunderstanding and thank you for your patience.

Todd

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 12, 2016 at 7:39:26 pm

Nice explanation Simon! Comes up quite a bit, and can be tough to get the point across.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]