FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output AAF from Resolve timeline and preserve scaling information

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Output AAF from Resolve timeline and preserve scaling information
on Dec 7, 2016 at 8:10:47 am

I have a timeline in Resolve which originally came from Premiere Pro, and I need to use it to generate an AAF file for delivery to an external post house for grade and finishing.

It's convoluted why I need Resolve in the mix at all as it's not me who will be grading it but basically I wound up in this situation because I discovered late in the game that you can not export a correct AAF file from Premiere Pro if you've used merged clips, which of course, I did since the production used dual system sound.

I could export an XML no trouble though, and Resolve imported that just fine, and also conformed the timeline to the camera raw material perfectly AND preserved scaling information from Premiere.

What's weird though is that if I then use Resolve to generate an AAF, that scaling information is gone. Though there's not many clips that have used position and scaling animation in the project anyway, it'd be good to have that information come through and it seems it ought to be possible since AAF supports it and since the translation from Premiere to Resolve preserved this information just fine.

Anyone know how to do this?

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
Re: Output AAF from Resolve timeline and preserve scaling information
on Dec 7, 2016 at 11:31:37 am

when generate the aaf check if the "disable input and edit sizing" is not activated in the video tab of the delivery page.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Dec 7, 2016 at 11:53:54 am

Thanks,

I hadn't checked that, however the AAF was generated via the file > export AAF menu rather than via the delivery page. I did go in and have a look at this just to be sure though and it wasn't ticked.

I also tried exporting an AAF via the delivery page using the Avid AAF preset to see if that would help. It actually forces you to render out either Audio, Video or both if you do this even though I only wanted the AAF file that this preset also generates, but I told it to output just the video for the first shot and it generated an AAF for me of the whole timeline but the result was still the same as achieving this via the file menu: the AAF imports successfully in to Premiere (which I'm using to test whether or not the AAF's have been generated correctly) but does not retain the scaling and position information.

Thanks anyway though.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2016 at 6:37:25 pm

Why are you exporting an AAF? What is the post house going to be finishing on? Guessing an Avid SYMPHONY, but I don't like assuming.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]