FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Display with HDR Recommendations

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot M. Smith
4K Display with HDR Recommendations
on Nov 25, 2016 at 11:36:21 pm

I'm a colorist, I've had only a handful of requests for HDR deliverables, but I expect to get more soon. From my digging right now (Nov 2016) the 4K HDR spec is still sort of floating around, and there's 2 flavors (HDR10 and Dolby). Additionally some sets can't do full HDR, but may still be marketed as such with "HDR something" since they compress the HDR luma values into what they can display, which is still higher than SDR but not full HDR, so I don't want that. I'd like it to be between 42" and 50". If I could support P3 I want that.

I'd like to be able to do HDR without breaking the bank on something that might be obsolete within a year, so ideally 1k or less. I know the LG E6 is nice, but it's out of my price range.

Anyone have any recs on a good 4KHDR TV that could be used for color grading?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: 4K Display with HDR Recommendations
on Nov 26, 2016 at 11:58:04 am

No, my opinion is there is no affordable HDR display that's good enough to calibrate and use for color-correcting HDR material. Not yet.

My advice would be to get a decent display that works for Rec709, then once that's done, book some time in a room with a Sony BVM-X300, set it up for true HDR, and do a trim pass for a day or two and "massage" the project for that specific release format. Anything else will be a gross compromise.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Nov 27, 2016 at 10:54:08 am

"No, my opinion is there is no affordable HDR display that's good enough to calibrate and use for color-correcting HDR material. Not yet."

I just want to use my Atomos Ninja Flame ! he he

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 27, 2016 at 5:23:58 pm

>93% P3 and >1000 nits is minimum for HDR specs. ironically, how they expect to work everything in rec 2020, when most Tv's can't handle 100% P3 is beyond me.

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Dec 13, 2016 at 10:13:07 pm

Hey Elliot,

For doing an HDR grade pass the only, actually available option, is the Sony BVM-X300 (not to be confused with the PVM-X300). This display will go up to 1000nits and supports ST 2084. SMPTE 2084-PQ covers up to 10000nits, which no current, commercially available display can emit. There is the Dolby Pulsar that can go up to 4000nits, however, those are not available through normal channels.

With regard to gamut the BVM-X300 has a BT.2020 (rec2020) "compatibility mode" and will display a percentage of BT.2020. No commercially available wide gamut displays can show 100% of the range.

The gamut and light level limitations are technology related. Eventually we will get there, but the manufacturers will need some time to catch up. For HDR10, short of the Sony X300, the highest-end of the Sony consumer displays will get you the closest at this time... check out the Z9D 75".

With regard to Dolby Vision vs HDR 10... Dolby Vision is a great technology, however, grading for it involves some very specific equipment. You'll need a grading app that supports Dolby Vision -- Resolve is one of them, A Dolby CMU and a "supported" mastering display. Sony BVM-X300, Dolby Maui or Dolby Pulsar. Different displays will allow you to visualize at different light levels.

HDR 10 is simpler to work with, although, there is less control of the user experience and less display-side optimization.

Then there is Hyper Log Gamma (HLG) which you will see used in live sporting events. This is another can of worms and I won't get into that now.

Hope this helps.

- Jonathon

Return to posts index

John Treffer
on Dec 13, 2016 at 10:43:43 pm

I think the Eizo monitors are an interesting option for Grading monitors below top-end. I've got an CG248-4K but the CG318-4K is a more useful size for 4K. Reproduces 98% of DCI-P3. Got very nice internal calibration system. Saves the cost of a spider, buts also the hassle of applying it.

Downside is that there is no SDI, only HDMI/Display Port, but it works as well. In my research last year this ended up having the best price/quality rate. Eizo has a long history in making high-end displays for photography and print, so they have experience in manufactering.

I believe they have a rec.2020 mode where the monitor indicates what pixels are out of the range, but I never tried that.

Good luck, John

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Dec 14, 2016 at 4:47:10 am

The Ezio is good for wide gamut and it also coves a limited range of rec2020. It is also not an HDR display. What most folks will be working with as far as HDR goes will be wither based on PQ tone mapping of some sort HDR10 or Dolby Vision or the non-PQ HLG. Having the PQ EOTF in an HDR display is absolutely essential. "Most" of the studios are going with PQ based HDR formats.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]