FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import XML...no media

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Import XML...no media
on Nov 22, 2016 at 6:53:28 am

is there a way to import an FCX XML, but NOT have it need/want/desire to import or link to media? The FCX timeline I need to grade has plugins and composited shots and lots of stills...and every time I try to import it, either not importing the media, or trying to import the media, Resolve hangs. I'm sure it's due to the complexity of sections of the XML.

ANYWAY, I was wondering if there was a way to import it simply to have the text so I can get it to match, without having to retype...and have it import but NOT look for any media. So I can use it as a guide to chop up a textless QT file they are supplying. Edit Detection, in the past, has been....spotty at best for me in many spots.

Thanks

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Import XML...no media
on Nov 22, 2016 at 3:13:59 pm

is the issue that you've deselected the "automatically" import media function, and now it is asking you where the media is...and you don't want it to do that? You just want an offline timeline?

If so, just bring in a clip that appears in the program before you import the xml. Point Resolve to that bin. It will find the one shot, and give you a warning that most of the shots are offline. "Do you want to search another location" say "no"

You should be left with a (mostley) offline timeline.

You can then bring in bins of media as you need it, and have resolve reconform to bins as you see fit, if that is an easier way to deal with an unbearable timeline.

I typically bring in my media bins first, then the aaf (I don't use xmls, but I'm pretty sure its the same process) and deselect the "auto import media" button. Point Resolve to the media I've already brought in, and move forward.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:16:17 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "is the issue that you've deselected the "automatically" import media function, and now it is asking you where the media is...and you don't want it to do that? You just want an offline timeline?"

Even if I uncheck this....the XML won't load. At first I wanted that so I could link to the footage, so I could use as much of it as I could. But the XML just won't load, no matter what I do. I uncheck it, and it won't load. I would just like an offline timeline so I can use it to chop up the textless QT. And also to bring in the text so I don't have to redo that from scratch.

[Glenn Sakatch] "If so, just bring in a clip that appears in the program before you import the xml. Point Resolve to that bin. It will find the one shot, and give you a warning that most of the shots are offline. "Do you want to search another location" say "no""

I'll try that..ONE clip. I dragged the whole FCP OPTIMIZED MEDIA folder into the pool and populated it. I typically do that before I import an XML. That didn't help. Nor did not bringing in anything.

I think that the XML just is too complex or contains something that is preventing Resolve from being able to open it. It hangs no matter what I do. I'll try the single file option...see what that does.

Thanks

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:26:27 pm

Have you tried doing an edl and a cut detection based on edl?...or just a cut detection.

Maybe break your original show in halfs

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 22, 2016 at 5:13:01 pm

BAD XML export... client sent one and it opened fine. THANKS!

Now to see if I can link it to the media, and have SOME of it. But at least I have the text and cut points. Scene Detection has failed me in the past, even if I go through it and fix things before committing.

Thanks

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]