FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lines and blocky noise added in renders

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Coleman
Lines and blocky noise added in renders
on Nov 21, 2016 at 9:37:24 pm

Lately Resolve has been adding lines and strange noise about halfway through a render, regardless of the length of the media.

Anybody run into this? I re-render and the offending file and that usually takes care of it.

DaVinci Resolve 12.5.2.010
MacPro 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

EOS C300 mkii,

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Lines and blocky noise added in renders
on Nov 21, 2016 at 10:41:53 pm

I have heard that some people have had GPU overheating issues with the MacPro and it looks like a graphics card problem.

Return to posts index

Evan Anthony
on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:29:53 pm

Sorry to say this is a known issue with the Cylinder. If you did not do the GPU recall/change do it. But even then it will happen when it gets warmer. 4k footage triggers it more.

This is why Resolve folks are moving to PC's

Good luck!
Evan

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 22, 2016 at 1:52:25 am

Do a Google search on "2013 Mac Pro Repair Program."

Be warned that the D700 GPUs are not reliable (at least in my experience) and they constantly crap out. There are three things you can do to minimize glitches:

1) let the computer sit stone cold for a half-hour minimum time before booting it up.

2) install Macs Fan Control and ramp up the internal fan to 1800RPM.

3) start the render, run it at no more than 10fps, and have absolutely nothing running in the background.

TNR, SNR, and Blur modes tend to stress the GPUs more, so that's something to be aware of.

Some have reported that when Apple has replaced the GPUs, the problem completely went away. For me, after 3 replacements the problem went down by about 50%, and I'm just working around it as best I can... or at least until I reluctantly switch to Windows.

Return to posts index

David Coleman
on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:04:20 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. The GPU was replaced by Apple already. Throttling back the render speed to 5 seemed to take care of it for now, but I haven't tried it on 4K or anything too taxing yet. I'll try the fan control option and keep an eye on the heat.

thanks again,
David

EOS C300 mkii,

Return to posts index

Robert Olding
on Jan 3, 2017 at 4:30:18 pm

We're doing 4K projects and we ran into the problem with our Mac Pro's with D700's in them. Our Mac Pro's with D500's don't exhibit the problem. We installed iStat Menus ( https://bjango.com ) on the machines with the D700's and set the fan speed to medium. We set Resolve's render speed to 50. This solved the issue.

I understand that Apple has a recall on some of the Mac Pro's with D700's but curiously, we didn't have the issue with any of the machine's until we started using Resolve 12.5. Makes me wonder if some of the problem may also lie with Blackmagic.

Robert Olding
http://www.8streetstudio.com
Minneapolis, MN

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:52:33 am

[Robert Olding] "I understand that Apple has a recall on some of the Mac Pro's with D700's but curiously, we didn't have the issue with any of the machine's until we started using Resolve 12.5. Makes me wonder if some of the problem may also lie with Blackmagic.
"

I'm not convinced the problems are Blackmagic Design's, because there are people running Adobe Premiere who are also running into GPU glitches with 4K material under some circumstances. BMD has also demonstrated that there are perfectly fine Mac Pros out there that have zero glitches at all. I honestly believe this boils down to "bad hardware," and in particular "bad cooling." iStat Menus and Macs Fan Control let you see the internal temperature of the machine, and GPU #2 can get up to 180° F during really stressful renders (with the computer itself averaging around 148°).

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 4, 2017 at 10:08:47 pm

You can't blame software for trying to render as fast as the machine allows. If it overheats its a hardware issue.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 5, 2017 at 1:36:40 am

[Michael Gissing] "You can't blame software for trying to render as fast as the machine allows. If it overheats its a hardware issue."
Yes, that parallels the response from BMD. They pointed out they have other computers that get even hotter but don't add any glitches at all to the picture. I think it's three problems: a) bad ventilation within the Trashcan Mac; b) design flaws with the AMD D700 [sacrificing size for reliability]; and c) a large batch of defective chips that AMD accidentally let slip out. What that percentage is, I have no idea. I only know that I got three bad ones, and the one I have now is the "least worst" of the three.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 7, 2017 at 9:09:50 pm

As a non Mac user who has also had glitchy type renders, i will say that as soon as i replaced my Quadro 4000K card with a new card, the problems disappeared, and have not been seen for over a year now.

Luckily i am on a system that allows me to open it up and swap out the bad piece of hardware.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]