FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing the blackmagic sound option during install

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald Pires
Installing the blackmagic sound option during install
on Nov 19, 2016 at 5:31:04 pm

Please bear with my ignorance of all the processes, terms and length of my 1st post and I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place.

Hi, I just signed up, very new to video recording, editing, Davinci and the forum. As I was down loading resolve 12.5.3 I was given the option to D/L the Blackmagic sound. I already have Realtek sound on my comp and panicked. So I didn't include the option. Did I screw up? If it is important to editing is there a way to get it back? I already made a number of recordings using the comps Realtek sound.

I decided to record a video game, so not having any background I got the free OBS Studio to learn, seems good so far. I also want to edit segments of game play so I can improve and shorten the intended video. So far I liked what I've seen in DR12.5 so I D/L'd it. Unfortunately all the videos I've seen to date do not, (as far as I can tell) show me how to cut out an end section of, call it "Clip#1" to a specific frame or set of frames, e.g. (save point), then take "Clip#2", and cut out the beginning of it to the same frame or set of frames mentioned in "clip#1" and then merge the 2 clips to hopefully appear seamless.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Ronald Pires
Re: Installing the blackmagic sound option during install
on Nov 20, 2016 at 5:23:11 pm

Is no one at this site able to or just unwilling to help me with either of my questions?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 21, 2016 at 7:36:32 pm

You might be on the wrong forum.

Depends on what you want to do with the application. If you are recording video games and making demos of them, it probably is possible but this seems to be the hard way to do it. One very large issue is that most of the games and screen-grab software use variable frame rate techniques to reduce bit-rate overloads and generate smaller source files overall. This is anathema to how the Resolve application functions, and some would argue, opposite to what it was designed to do. It does have an edit function, true -- its mostly there to help professional colorists import and export finished movies -- with the express goal of color correcting the project, which is the express initial purpose of DaVinci Resolve.

There are tons of Player/Editors on the market that do not have either the complexity or system demand that Resolve has.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 21, 2016 at 10:52:58 pm

you've stated that none of the tutorial you've viewed can show how to make a basic edit in Resolve. What tutorials have you looked at?

I just a google search of "basic editing with Davinci Resolve" and was presented with various options.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ronald Pires
on Nov 22, 2016 at 1:30:18 am

To Glenn,
All the you tube videos I've watched only show people dragging and dropping clips into a time line then pulling them together then saving. What I want to do is cut clip#1 at a specific frame then cut clip#2 at a specific frame and then join the 2 so that the 2 joined clips appear as 1.

Joseph,
I'm aware of the frame rate issue, when I grabbed and dragged clip#1 into the time line the software informed me of the difference and asks if I want to change it, and I agreed.

Earlier today after not getting any help from 3 different forums, I started DR, I dragged clip#1 and 2 into a time line and butted #2 up to #1. I then thought to myself I should separate them so I can make the cut in#1 then go to #2, make the cut in it then drag them back together. I was able to make the cut in#1 where I wanted, however when I went to clip#2 all I got was "Media Offline". The file runs all blacked out but the sound is fine. None of the other files exhibit this anomaly.

I went back to you tube and the only thing I can find is "Relinking Media" and footage. The problem with this is none of the offerings solve the problem. One suggested to "Change parent directory, none of my mp4 files have that option within or out of DR. One person un/reinstalled DR and that changed nothing. What the heck caused the file to go "media offline"? Without being able to solve the issue I'm afraid to attempt any further work.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 22, 2016 at 9:24:55 pm

mp4 long-GOP source files are probably the worst type of media for Resolve. When I referred to variable frame rate, what it means is that clips captured with most consumer recording applications don't always have a fixed rate. They may have a target rate, but it will drop frames that it considers redundant -- to save space. There are many consumer iMovie-type editing applications that take this into account. Resolve does not. Although this may not be the entire reason that your media went "offline" -- there are several reasons why that might have happened -- this is a big one. The Resolve media browser is supposed to be a type of gatekeeper that should simply not show you ineligible codec types. Sometimes a masquerading source file gets past, but once it hits the float-decoder, it may "fly apart" and disappear from the rendering engine.

If you have a VLC type of re-coder, try washing your clips through that to create an "intra" codec format, like DnX or ProRes to see if they will then hang together in the Resolve sequence.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]