FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ezio monitor calibration

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shermen Chan
Ezio monitor calibration
on Oct 27, 2016 at 11:50:13 am

Hello, I’m going to calibrate my Ezio monitor ColorEdge CG 277 by ColorNavigator. When I open the program, there are 3 targets for me to choose including ‘Photography’, ‘Printing’ and ‘Web design’, any off these targets is suitable for calibration if I aim at cinema screening, or do I have to create a specific target using for cinema screening and what is the setting?

As I have to meet a tight deadline, I’d like to have a quick and usable calibration by ColorNavigator, thank you.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Ezio monitor calibration
on Oct 27, 2016 at 7:38:26 pm

Web Design is probably the closest if it is sRGB, which is very close to Rec709, but a graphics monitor is not normally a good choice for doing cinematographic work.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:55:26 pm

Don't use "color navigator" unless you are using an external probe. If you use the internal probe then use the settings within the monitors menus. You want "REC 709" and then choose your gamma for your expected viewing environment. The GC277 is a great monitor, do read all the manuals on color management as this is not a monitor for people who do not take color seriously and are willing to learn how to use the device.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Shermen Chan
on Oct 31, 2016 at 12:05:19 pm

Thank you all for the info, I found out self calibration can be done within the monitor directly without using any software. Is it alright or safe to use this function ?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 29, 2016 at 6:54:28 am

I don't think the Eizo's color navigator is good enough for Rec709 (broadcast) or for cinema distribution. You need to invest in Calman or LightIllusion software and a compatible probe, plus the proper test signals. I'm not convinced monitors are ideal for judging cinema color, but the Eizos are not terrible for broadcast video.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:51:43 pm

[Marc Wielage] "
I don't think the Eizo's color navigator is good enough for Rec709 (broadcast) or for cinema distribution."

When I think about the amount of energy released into the environment in that brief period of time when "film vs. digital video" dominated the discussion; now that it is settled, I'm hoping that Climate Change will start decelerating any time now, because it has to have been a factor.

But lets talk about densitometry. When you try to make "black" on a white or silvery, reflective screen, that's really where the rubber meets the road. Emissive vs. reflective are so fundamentally different, the only hope is for a reasonable compromise. Any colorist who has spent any time at all trying to get a black balance knows there can be a lot more going on between "0" and "1", than there is between "1" and 100." Thats just how it is, and in the digital world, that infinity of random noise, quantization error and other minute factors are just below the radar. Now lets toss in a gamut LUT, and probably re-range the RGB / Rec709 mapping across the grey scale. You start wondering how any of this could possibly work, even at a "good enough" level. Practically speaking, if enough small errors creep in, it won't. That's why it costs a bit more to acquire equipment that can achieve the sensitivity, repeatability and accuracy that keeps those factors at bay. The ones you can't even see, the monitor can't display it, the (consumer) densitometer isn't registering it, and then its obvious when it hits the theatre screen or home receiver that is cranked up to BestBuy Sales Demo mode.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 31, 2016 at 5:50:10 am

[Joseph Owens] "But lets talk about densitometry. When you try to make "black" on a white or silvery, reflective screen, that's really where the rubber meets the road. Emissive vs. reflective are so fundamentally different, the only hope is for a reasonable compromise. Any colorist who has spent any time at all trying to get a black balance knows there can be a lot more going on between "0" and "1", than there is between "1" and 100.""
That's very true. I know an infamous case where a certain post house attempted to use a DLP projection system for broadcast grading, and let's just say it did not go well. My opinion is that you have to at least do a trim pass in the environment to which the final product is intended to be viewed.

Already, there are questions as to whether grading on Laser Projectors will translate to DLP Projectors, and there are issues between OLED monitors, plasma monitors, and LCD monitors. Even when calibrated, the experience is different.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]