FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to render in a custom size with no bars?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Senechal
How to render in a custom size with no bars?
on Oct 24, 2016 at 12:42:02 am

Hey all - first post! Thanks for this great forum.

This is likely a dumb question - I've got a video clip that's originally 4k that I have cropped heavily on both the top and bottom; I'd like to render it just as it is with no black bars on the top or bottom. I've played with various options but am coming up empty - anybody know how I can do this?

If it makes any difference, it will be playing at the top of a website - so I really don't want black bars!

Many thanks, all!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: How to render in a custom size with no bars?
on Oct 25, 2016 at 1:56:51 pm

what is the frame size of your project? Is it the same size you want your final video to be in, or is it 1920x1080?
(honestly, not sure if you can do custom project sizes in Resolve...never tried...but i would start by looking at that)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Gerry Senechal
on Oct 25, 2016 at 4:00:04 pm

Thanks for the reply, Glenn - honestly I messed around until what I was changing did what I want! In Color, I went to Sizing and then selected Output Sizing, then under Blanking, I changed things to this:

Top: 290.2
Right: 1920
Bottom: 800
Left: 0

But now that I think about it, just the word "Blanking" itself may sort of imply that there will be black bars. I'd love to crop the entire thing, not just create bars...any ideas?

Many, many thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 25, 2016 at 7:05:23 pm

You are still missing the point. It still sounds like you are trying to output an odd shaped frame.

FIgure out what you want your final custom frame size to be. ..say 1920 x 500 make a project in resolve that is that size.
(if you are just trying to get your odd shaped footage to fill a regular screen, then thats a different process)

Import your media, and don't allow resolve to adjust the project settings when it brings in the clips.

make your timeline, and resize your shots using the inspector to fill the frame you are now presented with.

Go to delivery page and output a file of 1920 x 500 (or what ever you are looking for) and you should have no black bars.

But it all starts by knowing what you want this frame size to be in the first place.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Gerry Senechal
on Oct 26, 2016 at 12:44:05 am

Makes sense, Glenn - thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 26, 2016 at 5:36:51 am

You want to wind up with NO BLANKING at all in the final render. Turn all that off, then crop the image accordingly. Do some test renders of 10 seconds or so and try it out with the correct custom sizing entered. I'm assuming you're cropping and not scaling.

Kevin Cannon of Prehistoric Digital in Santa Monica had some good tips over on LiftGammaGain:

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/deliver-resolution-vs-time...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]