FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can this be done in v12.5?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Ross
Can this be done in v12.5?
on Oct 18, 2016 at 4:48:16 pm

I am new to Resolve v12.5 & I'm confused viewing tutorials to the subtle differences between v11 & v12.5. I've attached a screen grab to hopefully explain. In the tutorial there are many references to 4 separate color adjustment curves in v11 (upper photo). The adjustment curves can be undocked & enlarged as in the upper photo.
But, I'm using v12.5 which defaults to all adjustment curves within one window & I cannot figure out how to undock the adjustment curves, that is, if they can be at all. Yes, LRGB curves can be adjusted independently in v12.5 but I'd like to have 4 separate as shown in v11. Can this be done in v12.5?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Can this be done in v12.5?
on Oct 18, 2016 at 6:52:01 pm

There have been so many changes and additions to Resolve since v.11 that you'll
be raising this type of question over and over again if you keep training using that out of date tutorial you're using now. Ripple Training has many terrific tutorials for 12.5 that are very reasonable, and they are presented by the author of the official Resolve Training Manuals. There are many free tutorials available as well if you don't want to invest any $$$ in your future. Just don't keep trying to learn using a tutorial that's now three versions out of date, becsuse you waste everyone's time doing that, including your own.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 18, 2016 at 7:50:45 pm

Thanks David. Ripple Training looks good. I haven't worked with Sony's Slog2-3 video but need to learn as I'm investing in a new camera. I'm finding it difficult to follow YouTube tuts because of the various versions of DR. Need to learn from the beginning & build solid fundamentals instead of jumping into advanced techniques. I did check Lynda.com a few days ago for training, which they do offer, but once again it looked to be older versions mixed with new. Ripple Training's DaVinci Resolve 12 QuickStart looks like a good place to start.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 18, 2016 at 11:24:46 pm

In addition to Ripple, I would also recommend MixingLight as having some excellent tutorials and insights into specific techniques, like the use of curves.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Oct 19, 2016 at 2:38:46 pm

Check these videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/goatseyeviewUK/videos

Return to posts index

Robert Bengraff
on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:44:34 pm

Curious if you ever found a way to do this. I have a sinking feeling that it is no longer an option.

Robert

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 21, 2016 at 2:21:04 pm

I decided to invest in Ripple Training & there's no mention of this so far. The training is strictly for v12.5. I wanted this way because it's confusing & frustrating seeing how features worked with older versions as they no longer exist in v12.5.

Return to posts index

Robert Bengraff
on Oct 21, 2016 at 2:45:42 pm

Thank you George.

As I feared.

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 21, 2016 at 5:01:00 pm

You bet Robert. I am new to DR & was somewhat overwhelmed trying to learn how to edit use it. Ripple Training has been a good investment because it explains the functionality of DR completely. After training with it for the last day & a half I can see why the separate scopes were eliminated. If you haven't received training I would recommend some sort of training first, then expand with YouTube how-to videos. Trying YouTube's first didn't work for me. Just a thought.

Return to posts index

Robert Bengraff
on Oct 21, 2016 at 5:06:41 pm

Yea, way back in the v11days I invested in the Tao of Color DaVinci color grading guide and it was well worth it. I think I will indeed try the Ripple now as many people seem to agree with you. Can you tell me what I can expect to invest.?

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:04:37 pm

I went with Intro to Color Grading in Resolve 12.5 for $69. There's 21Gb of data to download which took a while for my slow DSL internet to download. I'm sure I'll come back for more as DR is quite complex.
DR seems to have Photoshop-like qualities where exposure in some areas of you clip can be adjusted without effecting other areas. I haven't completed Intro to Color Grading in Resolve 12.5 yet but I believe that would be in a different tut. There may be a complete series that covers it all for more $$$ but I thought I'd try this first.

Return to posts index

Robert Bengraff
on Oct 22, 2016 at 1:56:06 pm

Thanks George. As a once DSL prisoner I feel your pain. DR is rapidly becoming my favorite post tool. I ply a lot of drones and those cheap little sensors need all the help they can get. And with so many people buying and flying them, color grading is the only thing (except good piloting of course) that helps me stay on top in this very competitive and over-saturated market.

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 22, 2016 at 3:30:06 pm

You've earned your "wings"! ? We live in the country where the population doesn't warrant high speed internet. Sat internet is data pay-as-you-go but faster, too $$$. But, there is hope. I've seen crews installing fiber-optic cable near us. If all goes right we'll join the 21st century sometime in 2017! Best of luck to you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]