FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow to import XML full of .MTS clips into resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathew Farrell
workflow to import XML full of .MTS clips into resolve
on Oct 17, 2016 at 9:22:49 am

Hi folks

I'm trying to import a premiere pro project into resolve 12.5. Simple enough normally, except this project is made up of .MTS (AVCHD) files, so Resolve throws a wobbly and can't handle them.

I'm not used to needing to transcode media - given that I have a picture-lock timeline in Premiere, can anyone suggest a clean workflow to transcode the necessary media for grading in Resolve? The simplest solution I can think of is to render out a single clip from Premi then cut detect it in Resolve, but this is much more naff than necessary.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: workflow to import XML full of .MTS clips into resolve
on Oct 18, 2016 at 7:54:52 am

The only alternative to doing what you say and cutting up a preconformed export would be to consolidate the clips in the sequence and re- wrap the files using clipwrap, relink to those clips (or possibly conform to them in resolve). This would be a lossless approach.

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Oct 18, 2016 at 11:19:58 am

Much obliged Toby, thank you.

If I were to rewrap then relink the clips in PP (or Resolve, for that matter), are the cut points (in & out timecode) of the clips retained? I presume I'd have to manually relink each clip?

I've just had another thought - Resolve brings in the timeline just fine, but it can't successfully link the MTS clips. This timeline gives me cut points if the scene-detect doesn't work on the single pre-conformed clip. I can't envisage how to automatically use the timeline, but it's a valuable cutting guide.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 18, 2016 at 11:27:01 pm

I would use ClipWrap to rewrap the files for Resolve:

http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap

In general, a lot of these H.264 formats do not work well for post, particularly the ones without embedded time-of-day timecode.

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Oct 20, 2016 at 3:59:23 am

Thanks Marc

As queried above, would I then have to manually trim each of these clips, as they no longer have a filename match?

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 20, 2016 at 11:59:41 am

Hi Mat. These AVCHD mts files are a problem that should be solved before edit. Annoyingly they often start every new folder by repeating the same file name like 000001.mts, 000002.mts. So every new folder repeats previously used file names meaning the only differentiator is the folder name. Because Pr reads the time of day code as timecode you have the nightmare of matching without timecode or unique file names. Perfect storm as Resolve thinks each clip starts at timecode zero.

This format really needs to have the files transcoded (ProRes or DNx) before edit so that you have real timecode and unique file names. I have just had the same issue with Mathew Newton's doco. The fix was to export a flat timeline single clip from Pr. I put that on a Video track above the offline clips from the xml. I then used the blade tool with snap on and manually bladed the single clip. It snaps to the offline clips underneath so it is very quick to manually blade the single clip. Then grade. Everything else is manual eye matching without useful file names so it is a nightmare

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Feb 14, 2017 at 10:18:45 pm

Sorry Mike, I only just saw this! Having trouble getting notifications from Creative Cow.

It's a frustrating solution, but that's what we're working with. Thanks. Perhaps we should go on a mission to smash all the AVCHD camcorders in Hobart...

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]