FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to Resolve, how to re-dock Scopes Window

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Ross
New to Resolve, how to re-dock Scopes Window
on Oct 14, 2016 at 4:40:53 pm

Here's a laugh for those who are experienced with Resolve. I'm new to Resolve & cannot figure out how to re-dock the Scopes Window. I cannot find any reference to un-dock / dock & don't recall how I un-docked it in the 1st place. Please help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: New to Resolve, how to re-dock Scopes Window
on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:01:38 pm

"If you're unhappy with the way you've rearranged the Resolve UI, you can choose Workspace>Layout>Reset UI Layout to restore the UI to the default arrangement."

I'd be curious to know what would happen if you switched between Single Screen and Dual Screen if that option was available to you, to see if the scope windows hopped around or reset to default.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

bob kimberly
on Oct 15, 2016 at 9:36:59 am

i just wanted to share with you my work around for scopes...being on a budget, very very tight i might add, i looked around at how to get my scopes on a separate monitor. i had an old iPad lying around and found this great little app called duet display..it allows you to use the iPad as a second monitor and works amazingly well.
i opened up my scopes in davinci resolve and just dragged them into the iPad window that is now my second monitor..
instant video scopes without using up any space on your main monitor and didnt cost a fortune...
when you don't have lots of cash to throw around you have to come up with creative ideas and i found this one to be a real life saver...

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 15, 2016 at 12:44:45 pm

Finally got it docked. Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 16, 2016 at 3:22:34 am

I agree with Bob Kimberly above: it's worth it to invest in a 3rd (very cheap) monitor just for scopes, and expand the window to fit the display. I literally use a $50 Dell monitor for scopes only, and it's worked out great. I actually prefer a 4x3 scope display because it's what I got used to for many years. I don't like the idea of using an iPad, partly because of the lag, and partly because it's too small. A 19" 4x3 display is the right size for me, and it works well off to the side of my 16x9 27" GUI display.

I'm also a much bigger fan of Scopebox for external scopes, both to lighten the load of processing from my main Resolve machine, and also for all the extra features Scopebox provides. (And my thanks to Robbie Carman of MixingLight.com and Jason Bowdach for recommending Scopebox so highly.)

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 16, 2016 at 2:00:09 pm

I have a 2nd 23" 1080 NEC 16x9 monitor that's calibrated & will use that. I have much to learn! ;)

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 16, 2016 at 6:49:07 pm

[Marc Wielage] "I literally use a $50 Dell monitor for scopes only"

I configured my original master workstation with an HD-SDI VideoTek WFM-900 external hardware scope. Its one of the only original pieces of equipment still in use 11 years later. It has an external VGA output which I route to a cheapo HP_vs15C (4x3) for exactly the same reasons. One of the big advantages of the hardware solution is the YRGB wafeform parade, but also valuable because it does a patented "Eye-pattern" out-of-gamut analysis tool in simulated YIQ composite mode. Needless to say well outside of the OS-mediated graphics/video process, a dispassionate and unassociated third-party analysis.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 17, 2016 at 1:44:47 am

I totally agree, Joe -- I got awfully used to a YRGB scope display in the Videotek and Leader scopes. But the Scopebox displays have their positives: I have a separate Y-only display in addition to the RGB parade, plus the HML Balance vectorscopes, which are really, really good. Download the free version and try it out for yourself.

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 18, 2016 at 4:20:26 pm

Well, I'm making progress using Scopes on my 2nd monitor. It seems many of the video tutorials are using v11, not v12.5 & there are subtle differences that confuses newbies like me. For example, is there a way to dock the preview screen on my 2nd monitor?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 18, 2016 at 10:01:26 pm

The tutorials from Ripple Training and MixingLight.com definitely use version 12. Don't use the preview screen -- you can only color correct on a calibrated external monitor connected to a color-managed output (page 664 in the manual).

Return to posts index

George Ross
on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:49:49 am

I bought Ripple Training Intro to Color Grading in Resolve 12.5 late yesterday. Best to get solid training. All files add up to 21Gb of data which takes time with DSL internet to download. My NEC is a calibrated external monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]