FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different input resolutions, expecting different resolutions in rendered medias.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Delayat
Different input resolutions, expecting different resolutions in rendered medias.
on Oct 13, 2016 at 9:43:45 am

Hi everyone,
I'm experiencing a weird workflow.
I have footages for a multicam video edited on Premiere pro. The face cam is a 4K res, while the 2 others are 1080p.
I will need to add further motion design and zoom-in-and-outs to those footages once color grading is done.
But my problem is : I can't export my footages with their input sizes. My 4K are cropped to 1080p, which is my resolves' timeline res.
I tried every options concerning scalling : input, output, even in the deliver area : "render at source resolution" button and "disable edit and input sizing".

Does anyone has a clue for it ?

Thanks a lot !

David

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Different input resolutions, expecting different resolutions in rendered medias.
on Oct 13, 2016 at 7:17:38 pm

Your idea of a viable workflow is simply way, way, way unrealistic. Your understanding of roundtripping between apps, especially a workflow involving multi-cam, compositing, differing pixel dimensions, and color correction is just not how these things are done.

Unless you're staying within the Adobe "ecosystem," or, staying inside Resolve for editing, compositing, and color, you will never be able to achieve exactly what you've described.

To do what you're hoping to do, using both Adobe and Resolve, you would almost certainly need to pre-color correct your footage in Resolve before editing and compositing in Adobe.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David Delayat
Re: Different input resolutions, expecting different resolutions in rendered medias.
on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:55:55 pm

Dear David,

thank you for your reply.

I understand your point, but it doesn't suit for me : I don't want to use any adobe software for color correction (did it already for more than 40 videos this year, including a lot of multicam works) and that's not my solution. Moreover I use after effects, and the exchanges with premiere pro are very handy.

The second thing is that I have to color grade 30 videos which have already been edited in premiere pro. So I can't edit again everything in resolve. I can't color grade my footages before editting, i would be a solution, but they are heavy footages, about 30 minutes long for each cams, 3 per videos, 30 videos, my servers will die from doing it. Correcting 30 minutes of rushes is a lot more time consuming than only the rush of use.

You said "unrealistic", but not "impossible" : Would there be a solution, even a crazy one ? Like if I put my 4K clips in a second video track, 1080p ones on the first one, edit the timeline configuration to 4K, render the second track, then edit timeline to 1920*1080 and render the first track ?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 16, 2016 at 3:48:15 pm

Your idea of switching your timeline from 4K to HD might work. As long as all your frame rates are the same, as you can't adjust that after the fact in Resolve. If not, try making 2 projects in resolve.

1 for the 4 k shots, 1 for the hd shots
In Premiere break your sequences into those same setups, and export a list for each setup.

bring the shots into their respective Resolve timeline, color and output.

Back in Premiere, rebuild the individual sequences into 1 sequence.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]