FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serious DR user, looking for answers..

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Humer
Serious DR user, looking for answers..
on Oct 8, 2016 at 3:58:23 pm

Hey guys,
I made the plunge into DR at 12.0 and have built work arounds for every issue and have finally hit a wall. Looking for guidance on issues that I'm experiencing in 12.5.3. BTW, I'm in it for the long haul... It's got the necessary editing features and then allows you to fly through a pristine color correction super quick...(even quicker with Tangeant Element) Thanks in advance....

1-After adjusting the speed on a first clip, then edit some and then adjust speed on a new clip that I highlight, the speed adjusts another clip in the timeline and not the one that I highlight.... (work around.... restart DR and start cycle again)

2-Media Manage a 6 min piece with a variety clips and formats using Transcode with 24 frame handles. Files export beautifully into PRHQ files but where is the project file? If I export a project separately, it does not link the clips to the timeline and how would it know about 1 second handles? I've tried XML approach and only links to some clips.

3-Keyboard Shortcuts are great but can't program the ones that exist in submenus... like duplicate timeline. Also with the thousand possibilities, how about search for commands bar?

4-Where do the Auto Saves go? It also seems that I have is Revert To Last Save... Love to go way back in time... Also I have to immediately stop when the auto-save pops up otherwise any extra clicks will crash the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... especially #2 because clients have changes over the weekend and I'd rather bring 20 gigs home than 600 gigs...

thanks
Ron Humer
Editology.com
New York City

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Serious DR user, looking for answers..
on Oct 9, 2016 at 7:20:17 am

I haven't had that problem with speed changes, but there is an option buried in the Media Management window that specifically says "Relink to New Files," which is extremely important.

It is true that not all the menu commands (particularly right-click commands) are customizable for keyboard shortcuts. I just live with it, because I don't duplicate timelines that often.

I don't know physically where Auto-Saved Projects go, but my workaround is just to manually export a DRP at the end of day (twice a day if it's a client-supervised session), and I date each one of them as part of the file name. Over a one week period, I might generate 9 or 10 backup DRPs, each one dated. In theory, if the client said, "hey, can I see what we did on Tuesday," I could import that session and check it. It's extremely rare that that happens.

Generally, what I do in cases where sessions are constantly getting revised, I'll just duplicate a timeline, give that a new date, and call that "v2" or "v3" or whatever, and then we could flip back and forth very quickly if necessary.

Return to posts index

Ron Humer
on Oct 10, 2016 at 12:39:16 am

Yes. There is only the "Relink to New FIles" option for the "Entire Project" media manage option but is grayed out for the other 2 options.... as it states in the manual. Have you been able to Transcode to smaller files and then have a project match up to it?

thanks,
Ron

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 11, 2016 at 4:15:50 am

[Ron Humer] "Have you been able to Transcode to smaller files and then have a project match up to it?"
I haven't tried it. My general workflow is to transcode first, or not transcode at all. I haven't tried Media Management and transcoding simultaneously.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]