FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export entire project to FCP7

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Export entire project to FCP7
on Sep 28, 2016 at 9:26:21 pm

Well... I tried to use Resolve but discovered that my 2014 MacBook Pro is not up to the task. I cleaned out my RAID, maximized the graphics priority -- but the delayed playback continues. I really like Resolve - but can't take the continual interruptions for playback.

I would like to export the entire project to FCP 7 so I can finish the job in a timely fashion. I have a Resolve project with about 20 timelines. Is there any way to export the entire project, or do I have to export each timeline as an .xml?

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Export entire project to FCP7
on Sep 28, 2016 at 10:23:24 pm

XML or EDL

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:10:40 pm

That creates a timeline, one at a time - I would like the whole set of timelines, folders, etc. Is that even possible?

Bob C

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 29, 2016 at 2:10:36 am

Of course you woukd, but that's not gonna happen. The very best you're gonna get is sequences that relink with the media.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Sep 29, 2016 at 5:58:13 pm

Hi Bob,

You can always export xml's etc. But have you tried optimized media etc?

I also have a 2014 MBP, what I do is making proxies of half HD resolution (960x540, prores proxy). Edits like butter and with my final timeline (copy), I do a reconform to a (or more) bin's with the original media to grade. Works very well. I have smaller projects proxies on my MBP's internal drive (SSD). Offline/Online workflow.

You can try that with a timeline, render that one out to individual files/ proxies, copy the timeline and reconform that copy to the proxies to test performance.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 1, 2016 at 10:34:13 pm

Thanks Richard. Great thought.

How exactly are you doing that? And, how can you verify that the program is using proxy files?

I tried following the instructions in Ripple Training's tutorial, using two techniques:

1. Playback/Proxy Mode/Half Resolution
2. Control-click on file in Media Pool, Generate Optimized Media

I think this has resulted in some improvement, but I still get the spinning beach ball when I'm quickly throwing frame adjustments into the timeline and playing back rapidly (the kind of editing that you have to do to get rid of the "um's" and "uh's").

I can see in the playback window that the material is much lower-resolution. But I'm not sure that it is using the proxy files. Am I missing something here?

Thanks very much, again. I like Resolve - don't want to go back to FCP7 or PPro.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Oct 2, 2016 at 1:58:40 pm
Last Edited By Richard van Harderwijk on Oct 2, 2016 at 2:01:08 pm

Hi Bob,

Yes, I like resolve too, basically FCP8... Do you have the MBP with additional GPU (2GB)? Resolve really needs that, it is a demanding, heavy coloring pipeline. I only have small projects shot on Blackmagic pocket, the next is how I work. I guess you can also do the automatic proxy, but I somehow started with this and it works.
  • I put my prores hq 1920x1080 on an external disk; and in the media page, I put them in a separate bin.
  • I put all those clips in one timeline and render them as prores proxy 960x540 to my internal disk on the MBP, individual clips, same filename (I used compressor, but now resolve)
  • In the media page, I organize all those proxies in bin's, edit, make multiple timelines; etc
  • OK, then I make a copy of my final timeline
  • In the media page, right click the timeline->timelines->reconform from bin's (deselect the proxy bins)
  • If that doesn't work, go to the edit page->select all clips on the timeline->right click->deselect "force conform enabled" and try again

All my clips have unique names with date/time stamps. I have nothing in the reel entry (you can put the directory there), so I get all messages that there are double clips. But I don't have problems. This is a bit classic offline/online, in this way you only need your laptop to organize, edit etc. Page 631 Using the “Reconform From Bins” Command in the manual.

[edit] On the color page, I see the codec; so if I see prores hq, I now it went well
Oh, I also set my project to 960x540 resolution while editing, if you forget that resolve will work hard to upscale it... And before reconforming, set the resolution to hd again.

Also check Alexis van Hurkmann's tutorials on optimizing speed. On the edit page, switching off the filmstrip and waveforms etc also helps.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 3, 2016 at 12:20:48 am

Thanks. If I may, another question(s):

I have already started editing, organizing the material into bins and timelines. Does Resolve offer a path for me to create proxies in mid-stream?

I have actually tried to create proxies, and I've seen Alexis's tutorials, but I don't think that Resolve is using the proxies.

Thanks.

I'm now using Sony Catalyst Browse to create ProRes Proxy files but will happily use a better path.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Oct 3, 2016 at 8:23:02 pm
Last Edited By Richard van Harderwijk on Oct 3, 2016 at 8:27:06 pm

It doesn't matter what tool makes the proxies. Thinking: perhaps start with setting the master project setting->timeline to half-res. And then copy a timeline and check that it is half-res and check performance when editing.

And you can always switch to proxies. Start with one bin/timeline to try it out. Make half-res proxy files, select in media page, put them in a separate bin. Change project settings to half-res, copy timeline, reconform from bin (select proxy bin) and try it out. When having edited, change project settings to full res, make a copy of the timeline, reconform from bin (full res bin).

I use the color page to see if resolve uses the proxies, the whole timeline, under all clips I see the codec (prores proxy). Full res with me is prores hq. But you can see from all clips what the file is they are pointing to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]