FORUMS: list search recent posts

jog control for fine jogging is missing

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
jog control for fine jogging is missing
on Sep 12, 2016 at 7:10:01 pm

Is there some reason that the jog control button (on the same row of the Source/Record Viewers as the playback buttons, and to the immediate right of the speaker button) does not show up on my Viewers?

This is the button that looks like a left-arrow/dot/right-arrow. I know it's supposed to be there because it is shown in the Ripple Training videos.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: jog control for fine jogging is FOUND
on Sep 12, 2016 at 8:39:21 pm

Got the answer. It was a Mac display resolution issue. When I changed from "Default for display" to "Scaled" and chose the icon just to the right ("More Space") of the Default, the jog control buttons appeared.

When using "Default for Display" with a large external monitor connected, the jog control button is visible on the large monitor, and not on the MBPro.

Thanks to David Weiss for talking me through this. No substitute, sometimes, for two people on the phone trying the same thing on different Macs.

Resolve 12.5.2.010
MacBook Pro mid-2014
OSX 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Oct 29, 2019 at 3:24:03 am

Hi Bob,
Where is this "icon just to the right ("More Space") of the Default?" Mac System Prefs? I don't see it on this little Mojave Airbook. Are you looking at DVR preferences? Can't see the jog control. Is there another way to slow down jogging?
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 29, 2019 at 4:04:11 am

Robert:

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, you might want to look at the Resolve manual. Open the manual, and type in "Jog Control" in the "find" window, to get the most recent information on this.

The jog control is under the monitors, to the left of the main transport controls. It looks like this:

" < • > " (but the "o" is a larger, filled-in dot)

The display setting I was discussing is in the Apple preferences. Click the little apple icon on the top bar, choose Display, and fiddle with it. Maybe your screen is too small to display the jog control. An external monitor might help.

At any rate, this jog control is not necessary. To jog, I just use the left-right arrow keys on the keyboard. In Resolve, choose Timeline/Audio Scrubbing in order to hear the audio while you scrub with the left-right arrow keys.

Good luck and let us know what you have found.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Oct 29, 2019 at 4:19:35 am

Thanks, Bob.
Yes that's the jog control I found in the manual. Tried extreme settings on Mac Display Prefs but it doesn't appear on this little 13-inch screen.

Yes, the cursor arrows work, but frame-at-a-time so the sound stutters but is workable. In Pr we held down the shift key plus arrows to move slowly but not here, apparently.

Thanks ,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 29, 2019 at 11:19:13 am

Robert: Resolve may not work well on your particular computer. Have you checked out their recommended hardware spec's?

There are many nonlinear editors out there which may not have as much capability, but would work better for your hardware.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 6, 2019 at 5:42:05 am

[Robert Withers] "Yes that's the jog control I found in the manual. Tried extreme settings on Mac Display Prefs but it doesn't appear on this little 13-inch screen."
It's very tough to use Resolve on a 13" display. The only way I can work with Resolve on a 15" MacBook Pro (which I don't like to do, but will do it "under protest") is to make sure the display is in 1920x1200 resolution, which is not the default. It's still clunky, but it can work to a point for very simple projects.

I'm a much bigger fan of using a 27" 2550x1440 GUI display (or even two of them), which to me is optimal for Resolve. Anything smaller is a strain for me. But for conforming and other very minimal kinds of situations, sure, it can work. When in doubt, check out BMD's Config Specs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]