FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow: FCPX to Resolve OR Resolve to FCPX back to Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Loria
Workflow: FCPX to Resolve OR Resolve to FCPX back to Resolve
on Jul 22, 2016 at 3:45:48 am

Best workflow for quality?
I mean, if you are working with cinemaDNG you need resolve to transcode it first before FCPX can use it correct?
But if you are working with RED footage, there is the RED plugin to import directly into FCPX. Which would be edit first, grade second, then final Export from Resolve?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Workflow: FCPX to Resolve OR Resolve to FCPX back to Resolve
on Jul 22, 2016 at 4:41:16 am

Joe,

Why round trip after color correction? Can it be done, yes, but that's NOT really how it works best. You should be editing in X (or Resolve), and "finishing" in Resolve. Why would you want to color correct/grade, then head back to FCPX? For what purpose?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joe Loria
on Jul 22, 2016 at 4:52:01 am

Sorry should have been clearer. I meant for importing RAW workflow. I know fcpx can work with RED .r3d footage with plugin. But for the sake of working with other raw formats such as cinemadng from a Blackmagic camera. I'm assuming you would use resolve to convert the raw footage to something fcpx can use, then do the edit, then round back to resolve for the final grade. Also, what if I want to change ISO and other settings that I can only do with a raw file format?
Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 22, 2016 at 5:10:46 am

Gotcha Joe, sorry if I got your post off track. I honestly don't know enough about FCPX file handling/codec handling capabilities to help in this case.

BTW, I'd seriously think about doing the entire project right in Resolve if I were you... Don't tell anyone, but it's almost exact like editing in FCP Legacy, except it's got file handling and color capabilities that are outstanding, and certainly tightest for BM camera files.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joe Loria
on Jul 22, 2016 at 5:15:33 am

Your not the first to say that. A few over at reduser said the same thing. And the more I search, the more I see people dumping FCPX. Shame if i didn't use a $300 piece of software that I own...lol
Thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 25, 2016 at 12:27:43 am

[Joe Loria] " And the more I search, the more I see people dumping FCPX. "

Interesting. I see quite the opposite.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 24, 2016 at 11:52:34 am

[Joe Loria] "Also, what if I want to change ISO and other settings that I can only do with a raw file format?"

Why don't you do a proxy workflow in X and reconnect to your raw files when going over to CC via fcpxml? I do this with any 4k projects (or multicam) I come across. Create your proxies in X or Resolve and definitely cut in X. Link to raw, finish and output in Resolve ( I agree with David that if you can get the finished version out of R12.5, there should be no reason for going back to FCPX).

Counter to what has been stated above, X is a far more solid, robust and faster editor than Resolve is and it's organizational features are much better. Resolve also borrowed a LOT from X but still has a ways to go (IMHO) to be a "heavy-lifting' editor. I will say that R12.5 is much better than earlier versions in terms of features and response.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 24, 2016 at 12:16:43 pm

http://www.rippletraining.com/articles/2015/01/28/importing-r3d-raw-into-fi...

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Joe Loria
on Jul 24, 2016 at 4:24:46 pm

Where would something like Motion 5 fit in, if at all? After export from grading?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 25, 2016 at 12:30:31 am

Not sure why you would go to Motion. Kind of like using AE to finish and output a Premiere project. The proxy to full res workflow is very good from X to Resolve. If you can stay in Resolve for the finish and output, even better.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]