FORUMS: list search recent posts

REC709 2.4 to DCI-P3 After the fact

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Griffin
REC709 2.4 to DCI-P3 After the fact
on Jan 25, 2016 at 12:13:21 am

I’m grading my first film going out as a DCP as part of the deliverables, to be shown at some festivals. So, I’m pretty unfamiliar with the workflow here.

I’m grading in DaVinci Resolve 12 at 2K DCI, with RED footage. After doing some research and basic understanding, I decided to grade at Rec709 Gamma 2.4 and monitor at Rec709 2.4, as I think this is more reliable than having my grading monitor set for DCI-P3 (rather than being in a grading theater setup properly for DCI-P3).

I would have liked to use the new DaVinci Resolve YRGB Color Managed option, but there is no REDColor3 option for Input Colorspace, so I decided not to (using any other space would be inaccurate and bypass my camera raw settings for each clip, which obviously I want to preserve).

My problem is that I have graded the entire film at Rec709 2.4 and now I want to transform as accurately and cleanly as possible to DCI-P3 when I export using easyDCP.

When I change my colorspace in Resolve to DCI-P3 and set my grading monitor to DCI-P3, obviously everything looks way off. I would like to make this transform without using a LUT, and the basic Rec709 > DCI-P3 LUT included in Resolve didn’t work and the image is still off (when applied to a timeline node).

Any workflow ideas here? Perhaps rendering out as some Uncompressed Rec709 2.4 file and then applying the transform inside the desktop easyDCP software? Though it would be nice to do this inside Resolve.

Thanks,
Evan

Return to posts index

Francois Driessen
Re: REC709 2.4 to DCI-P3 After the fact
on Feb 1, 2016 at 9:14:27 pm

I'm surprised no-one replied to your question yet.
I have the exact same question - did you get a good solution yet?

An indie approach would be to just create the DCP with Resolve from your Rec709 grade and trust its math on the conversion... And then book a local theatre at an off-time to do spot checks for key scenes on the DCP for peace of mind.

Any other ideas out there?

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.
http://firetrigger.com

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:50:03 am

If you are accurately monitoring your image in rec709 gamma 2.4, and you are using the easyDCP plugin for resolve there is no need to transcode to any intermediaty format in DCI/P3. The DCP is encoded in XYZ.

Just set your source timeline settings to rec709 gamma 2.4 in the color management settings which lets the DCP encoder know your source settings so it can convert to XYZ correctly.

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Francois Driessen
on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:25:47 pm

Thanks, N

Would you say the conversion is accurate enough to see this as a solid workflow? Meaning, grade and monitor in Rec709 and run EasyDCP on output.

Or is it an absolute must to be grading in DCI-P3 with a DCI-P3 capable monitor?

I guess the question really is: will it make a noticeable difference for your final DCP going with one workflow vs the other?

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.
http://firetrigger.com

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:19:04 pm

If you are grading in Rec709 then they conversion to DCI-P3 is accurate since DCI-P3 is a larger/wider color gamut. Going the other way is inaccurate as you cannot represent DCI-P3 fully in Rec709.

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Aïdan Obrist
on Jan 22, 2017 at 6:18:05 pm

Hi,
This tread is old but my subject is close, in one week i'll be grading a documentary, the final output will be a DCP for festivals (it's selected at Cleveland ☺ ). Last DCP we output I graded it in REC709 and let easyDCP make the job to DCI P3, and it worked perfectly, but this time we rented two days on a pro grading station with 2K projection, production can't afford to rent 5 days which would be perfect. Then here starts the question: I'll be grading 5 days in REC709 with a HD monitor then will come to the next place with the fancy 2K projector (we'll have the opportunity to make a test of transfer confo project from one machine to the other), is it possible to change color space during project from REC709 to DCI P3 with no surprise, how ? Or should I ask the Lab to set the projector to a REC709 space and let easyDCP do the job as previous time ?

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Aïdan

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 23, 2017 at 1:42:09 am

Last time I did a DCP from Rec 709 material, I let resolve make the 2k DCI Jpeg2000 files then put it together in EasyDCP. I have had issues in the past with EasyDCP translation to P3. Resolve did it perfectly and it is much quicker to render.

You will find jpeg2000 on the deliver page and you can now set the data rate. It automatically does the color space conversion so you don't need to add a LUT or anything in the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]