FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Avid MC6 to Resolve 8.2: "timecode extents doesn't match" Error

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald Wilk
on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:15:07 pm

I am encountering the same error message as a prior poster (see header) when loading an AAF created in MC6, with 10bit 422 material recorded via an Atmos Samurai initially in ProRes, and subsequently transcoded to DNxHd. The clips were recorded as 1080p 30 and the pull down boxes were unchecked in Davinci?

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:26:13 pm

I have tried all of the posted suggestions, but I continue to get the same error message when importing an AAF from MC6, regardless of whether I import the media into the media pool before importing the AAF or not. Anymore suggestions?
In addition, Davinci reports the files as 8 bit rather than 10 bit as they were recorded?

Return to posts index

Raj Kumar
on Feb 3, 2012 at 7:42:51 am

What I found was that the start time code Davinci saw was 01:00:00:00 while my sequence TC in AVID was 00:59:58:00.

Setting the TC in Davinci to 00:59:58:00 did nothing. Setting it to 01:00:00:00 in AVID did not seem to work either.

So I found each of my clips started from 01:00:00:00 in Davinci. I figured out this was the problem by looking at the start of a few clips in the sequence, finding out that start timecode should have been, and what it actually was, and realizing the difference was a constant throughout.

I then imported just the clips in the media pool, then changed the Start TC on each to match the start TC in Davinci (01:00:00:00) and then loaded the avid AAF without autoloading the clips.

This worked for me. YMMV.

I'm on Davinci Lite + Avid 5.5.

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Feb 4, 2012 at 3:33:17 am

What happens when you bring the sequence back into Avid now that the TC's have been changed?

Return to posts index

Raj Kumar
on Feb 4, 2012 at 2:25:49 pm

So the trip back into AVID did not work. I've been using this helpful video as a guide for how it should work ideally.

Things I learnt -
1. The kind of footage you are working with matters. My footage was canon 5D footage which has no timecode/tape name associated.

2. I ultimately gave up on trying to do without timecode and used QT Change to add timecode and tape values to (a copy) of my original footage. (shoottime TC derived from the .THM files I believe, and tape of format TAPE+hour from TC, so TAPE01 for clips with tc 01:xx.xx.xx)

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

3. I then brought that media into AVID as DNxHD footage (import), assigned the same tape values to the clips in AVID I had set with QT change (for some reason AVID did not get them from the QT file). Ofcourse, first I had to create all those tape names in AVID.

4. Then I put together a quick test sequence in AVID, exported as AAF linking to original files.

5. Loaded this into Resolve (skimping on deets here), graded. Rendered out using the Avid roundtrip option and making sure the FPS was set to 23.98

6. Loaded the graded clips via Media Tool in resolve (skimping on deets here), copied them into a bin, ASSIGNED TAPE NUMBERS AGAIN!, and then did a relink.

7. Voila! It worked. Except for one clip which gave me that "timecode extents doesn't match" error, but this was a 2 frame clip. Am doing a test to see if there's a minimum number of frames Resolve needs by creating a sequence that has clips with just 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 frames and seeing if I get that error again.

Things to do:

I now have the unenviable tasks of somehow getting my actual short film's edited sequence (done without the timecoded clips) to use the clips which have the timecode.

Bottomline, you get that "timecode extants" error for many different reasons, I think, so there's no one solution that fits all.

My new mantra? For an ENTIRE roundtrip to work, you have to ensure the originating footage has TC and Tape set. :(

Hope this helps. Somewhat atleast.

All this may vary with your versions, so my software is MC 5.5 on a Mac, with 8.1.1 version of Resolve Lite.

Return to posts index

Raj Kumar
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:44:21 am

Looks like this is a known problem now

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/94051/537428.aspx
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/13839

There is a bug in how Davinci's media pool sees the timecode. When I went in and manually corrected the start TC on the media pool clips using the Change Timecode menu item, the sequence successfully conformed and was relinkable back in AVID.

Hope this bug is fixed soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]