FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC6 to Resolve 8.1: "timecode extents doesn't match" Error

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Jordan
Avid MC6 to Resolve 8.1: "timecode extents doesn't match" Error
on Jan 28, 2012 at 3:19:34 am

Some of my MXF clips in DaVinci Resolve do not appear to show the correct timecode, so they're not conformed.

I'm editing a thing shot on XDCAM EX at 720p23.98 in MC6 using AMA. Once I have my sequence cut, I transcode the sequence to DNxHD with 2-second handles for each clip. Then export the AAF and bring it in to Davinci Resolve.

In Resolve, upon import, it brings in all the correct DNxHD clips and adds them to the master timeline, but in my edited timeline they're all offline, with "timecode extents doesn't match" errors.

While the edits themselves reference the correct timecodes in the clips, the CLIPS in the media pool do not show the same timecode that they do in the Avid bin.

In Resolve, my timecode settings are set to playback at 23.976, and to interpret timecode at 24fps.

Here's a poorly-made image illustrating the problem:
http://i.imgur.com/C1Q1N.gif

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
Re: Avid MC6 to Resolve 8.1: "timecode extents doesn't match" Error
on Jan 28, 2012 at 4:05:46 pm

The first thing I notice is that the clip in the Avid bin has colons between the numbers. This meaning NDF TC. In the Resolve windows, there are semicolons - meaning DF TC.

I have had problems getting Resolve set up correctly for DF TC in certain cases. In general I have this nagging feeling that they are NOT handling drop frame correctly but I can not put my finger on where or how. It is just a feeling.

Jef

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 28, 2012 at 6:11:41 pm

This probably isn't it: even though you're saying 720P23.98, it isn't 720P59.94, right? And the AP hasn't been pulled out?

I know there are fake "DF" modes for non-2997 frame rates, it seems peculiar that the mismatch is being assigned.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Michael Jordan
on Jan 29, 2012 at 1:01:59 am

Thanks for the replies!

I'm pretty sure nothing is set up for drop frame. Here are some more pictures of my settings: Avid format settings, Resolve Import AAF settings, and Resolve Project settings.

http://i.imgur.com/lpZv7.gif or

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jan 28, 2012 at 5:57:16 pm

It looks like the time code in Resolve is being calculated as drop frame, even though you say it's 23.98. DFTC is about 3 1/2 seconds lower per hour, so the difference would be just about right. Check your settings in Resolve and make sure that Drop Frame is not enabled.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:12:27 am

Also note that depending on how the material was captured, 720p is 30 frame timecode standard (in NTSC based countries) according to SMPTE. Media Composer will track native 23.976 frames with 30fps timecode dropping every 5th frame in the cycle to compensate. This will always be the case in tape based captures. If you frame advance your source START in media composer, what is it rolling over as?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Michael Jordan
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:42:48 am

Hi! Thank you very much for the replies here.

Everywhere I can find, Resolve is set to use non-drop frame. I posted some more screenshots of my settings in my reply to the other people in this thread, you can see them here. (In fact, Resolve correctly does not allow you to select drop frame for a 24fps setup)

As far as 24 vs 30 frame TC, the footage was transferred directly off the card from the XDCAM camera, so no tapes involved. As I advance through the source footage in both Resolve and Avid, the source footage TC rolls over after 23 frames, in true TC24 fashion.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:00:44 am

Hi Michael,

Is it possible for you to upload and then send the link to this clip to us at davincihelp (at) blackmagic-design.com?

We'll check this out.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Michael Jordan
on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:04:26 am

Hi Rohit,

Absolutely! I will email you links to several of these clips right now. Thank you very much!

Michael

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:43:22 pm

Did you ever achieve resolution of the time code extents issue?
I am still experiencing same and have not been able to resolve it.

Return to posts index

Michael Jordan
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:07:58 am

I think he's still looking at it; I have nothing new to report. I'll be sure to post a follow-up when I hear back!

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Feb 4, 2012 at 8:16:03 pm

Great.
I have not been able to resolve the issue.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:36:29 am

This issue has been fixed in 8.2 beta 4. There was an issue with timecode reading in 23.976 MXF files.

Return to posts index

Michael Jordan
on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:04:08 am

Confirming that this has solved my problem! Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Feb 14, 2012 at 4:21:06 pm

Thank you so much Rohit. This has definitely been a huge problem for me lately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]