FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Accuracy of DaVinci GUI Viewer

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Daniel
Color Accuracy of DaVinci GUI Viewer
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:15:02 am

Does the Viewer in DaVinci's GUI display an accurately converted YUV to RGB video image, suitable for grading from?

I ask because while I do not have access to an SDI interface for full screen external monitoring, I have an HP Dreamcolor monitor I could use for the GUI interface in Rec.709 color space over DVI/HDMI. Of course that would mean I would have to rely on the GUI Viewer as displayed on the Dreamcolor monitor for grading.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
Re: Color Accuracy of DaVinci GUI Viewer
on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:45:08 pm

I wouldn't count on using the UI window for anything but the most basic and coarse grades, understanding that there will be no real calibration accuracy.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Jan 11, 2012 at 2:35:38 pm

i would like actually to have an official answer on this by BMD,

GUI monitor can be calibrated even building a 3D lut using light space , and knowing that the GUI of resolve does actually treat color in a proper way , can be very useful in particular condition (like on set color work)

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX285
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma

Return to posts index

Christopher Daniel
on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:46:01 am

Gabriele, before I posted here I did submit the same question to Blackmagic DaVinci support. Here is the response:

"Most people would not consider the GUI viewer display suitable for grading. You really need to have a Decklink card for proper grading monitoring. But if it's all you've got, it's all you've got. It just depends on what you are doing and how critical you need to be."

I feel the response is more anecdotal in nature and didn't really answer the technical question I asked. Boiled down, my YUV>RGB question was really asking if the GUI Viewer was capable of showing an accurate image if it is displayed on a properly calibrated Rec. 709 production monitor.

The outline for chapter 8 of the DaVinci course by colorist Bob Sliga seems to hint that Sliga believes the GUI Viewer actually can be accurate, but I don't know what Sliga might be basing that on (assuming he even includes that kind of information in the course).

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:12:18 am

The GUI viewer displays full-range RGB data.

If you are video monitoring is set to display normal scaled video, then the full-range data gets scaled to video range data on the Decklink video output.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:16:53 am

thanks rohit,

but there is something going on Here ...i believe is associated how OSX works :

I do use Scaled on my SDI and the image in the viewer of resolve is the same of the image on my SDI (video Range Wise (for sure does not look full range)

I use Scratch As Well : Scratch have a full Range GUI monitor as well BUT :

On Scratch on windows i can totally say that the image in the GUI viewer is full range (and my SDI is scaled ( in the GUI viewer blacks are crushed and highlight are clipped )
On scratch on Mac the Gui viewer match the image on the SDI (still SDI scaled )

so if rohit say that the GUI viewer is full range i believe , but i can Assure that somehow the image in the viewer is actually scaled ...

g

MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX285
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma

Return to posts index

Christopher Daniel
on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:10:34 am

[Rohit Gupta] " The GUI viewer displays full-range RGB data."

Do you mean RGB values in the GUI Viewer are displayed as 0-255 (computer mapping), instead of 16-235 (digital video mapping)?

Return to posts index

Christopher Daniel
on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:10:59 am

Robert, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

I did run across this online DaVinci class taught by colorist Bob Sliga. Chapter 8 is titled "Viewer - Checking your settings in full screen will provide an accurate view of your graded content".

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:49:23 am

I guess that all I would say is that if you have calibrated the display as best as possible then you probably have a decent chance of having it be ok. I wouldn't want t grade a feature like this but for basic work it seems like it could pass, especially if it's an on set quick look grade.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:30:19 pm

Gabrielle, I do experience the same thing. The viewer (computer monitor) does not show full range and total black. Last month we had a guy from Sony over that did calibrate the monitor and the computer screens, but this is still ny experience. When viewing normal range both the monitor and computer screen look the same.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:16:55 am

One theory I have is that OSX desktop is all scaled ...
g

MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX285
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved