FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro 2,1 Working incredible well with Resolve 8.0 GTX285,GT120 combo

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Ryan
Mac Pro 2,1 Working incredible well with Resolve 8.0 GTX285,GT120 combo
on Oct 22, 2011 at 12:19:49 am

I know this setup is not recommended by Davinci but felt like I should share my results.

I am running a Mac Pro 2,1 2X3GHZ Quad Core Processor (Early 2007 8 core) with 16GB ram, a GTX285 as the GPU and a GT120 as the GUI (Monitoring) card.At the time I was running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but have now updated to OSX Lion 10.7.2 and still works flawlessly. I was told this configuration would not work but was told you can give it a shot, so I did. Im pleased to announce that Resolve ran flawlessly on my 2,1 Mac Pro and playback was real time at 1/2 Res Good with Red 4k footage in a 1920x1080 timeline. I have attached some images to confirm my results.

I'd like to thank Dave Pirinelli (macvidcards.com) for getting me setup and running with the nVidia cards. If your looking for the best prices on graphics cards he's your man. He always responded to my questions and was more than helpful time and time again.

I dont guarantee these results on anyone else's machines, but I can guarantee my results and I am extremely pleased. This is a huge relief to know this works on my machine and will not have to spend an unnecessary amount on a new system. Please see my CudaZ results below.

GTX285:
CUDA-Z Report
=============
Version: 0.6.133 SVN Built Jun 25 2010 23:28:46
http://cuda-z.sourceforge.net/
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 10K540
Driver Version: 1.6.36.10 (256.00.35f11)
Driver Dll Version: 3.20
Runtime Dll Version: 3.0

Core Information
----------------
Name: GeForce GTX 285
Compute Capability: 1.3
Clock Rate: 1476 MHz
Multiprocessors: 30
Warp Size: 32
Regs Per Block: 16384
Threads Per Block: 512
Threads Dimensions: 512 x 512 x 64
Grid Dimensions: 65535 x 65535 x 1
Watchdog Enabled: Yes
Integrated GPU: No
Concurrent Kernels: No
Compute Mode: Default

Memory Information
------------------
Total Global: 1023.81 MiB
Shared Per Block: 16 KiB
Pitch: 2048 MiB
Total Constant: 64 KiB
Texture Alignment: 256 B
Texture 1D Size: 8192
Texture 2D Size: 65536 x 32768
Texture 3D Size: 2048 x 2048 x 2048
GPU Overlap: Yes
Map Host Memory: Yes
Error Correction: No

Performance Information
-----------------------
Memory Copy
Host Pinned to Device: 2479.35 MiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 1509.85 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 2473.77 MiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 1488.19 MiB/s
Device to Device: 58.1755 GiB/s
GPU Core Performance
Single-precision Float: 702.997 Gflop/s
Double-precision Float: 85.7901 Gflop/s
32-bit Integer: 141.047 Giop/s
24-bit Integer: 702.826 Giop/s

Generated: Fri Aug 5 11:31:12 2011

GT120:

CUDA-Z Report
=============
Version: 0.6.133 SVN Built Jun 25 2010 23:28:46
http://cuda-z.sourceforge.net/
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 10K540
Driver Version: 1.6.36.10 (256.00.35f11)
Driver Dll Version: 3.20
Runtime Dll Version: 3.0

Core Information
----------------
Name: GeForce GT 120
Compute Capability: 1.1
Clock Rate: 1500 MHz
Multiprocessors: 4
Warp Size: 32
Regs Per Block: 8192
Threads Per Block: 512
Threads Dimensions: 512 x 512 x 64
Grid Dimensions: 65535 x 65535 x 1
Watchdog Enabled: Yes
Integrated GPU: No
Concurrent Kernels: No
Compute Mode: Default

Memory Information
------------------
Total Global: 511.812 MiB
Shared Per Block: 16 KiB
Pitch: 2048 MiB
Total Constant: 64 KiB
Texture Alignment: 256 B
Texture 1D Size: 8192
Texture 2D Size: 65536 x 32768
Texture 3D Size: 2048 x 2048 x 2048
GPU Overlap: Yes
Map Host Memory: Yes
Error Correction: No

Performance Information
-----------------------
Memory Copy
Host Pinned to Device: 624.961 MiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 604.355 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 625.017 MiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 603.752 MiB/s
Device to Device: 8916.83 MiB/s
GPU Core Performance
Single-precision Float: 95.1131 Gflop/s
Double-precision Float: Not Supported
32-bit Integer: 19.1279 Giop/s
24-bit Integer: 95.1835 Giop/s

Generated: Fri Aug 5 11:31:50 2011

If your adventurous like me give your 2,1 a shot at running Resolve. While your upgrading your system make sure to stop by macvidcards.com or visit his ebay store (seller: macvidcards).

Thanks for reading this post and best of luck to everyone out there!

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
Re: Mac Pro 2,1 Working incredible well with Resolve 8.0 GTX285,GT120 combo
on Oct 22, 2011 at 2:55:21 am

Although it is quite possible, that Resolve runs fine on Mac 2.1 in 8 bit mode, it is highly unlikely, that you can run 1/2 Good res on it in real time. As a matter of fact, I guarantee, that it is not even close to the truth. Only latest dual 6 core Westmere computers are capable of such feat. GPU performance has ZERO effect on debayer speed. Debayer is strictly CPU. So, the whole post smells a lot like an ad for macvidcards.

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Oct 22, 2011 at 3:17:54 am

Jake,
This is definitely not an ad. I know you from Refuser and I have no affiliation with macvodcards. I was just a customer when looking for video cards to run Resolve. I'm a 24 year old recent film school graduate with absolutely no hidden agenda. How can you make these claims with no proof whatsoever? I have included this evidence and system info to prove my statement.

This is most definitely not an ad and I advise you to not make such claims without a shred of evidence to support this ridiculous elitist statement.

What else do you need for me to prove my statement, the setup is sitting in front of me. I have no reservations in proving my claim.

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on Oct 22, 2011 at 6:54:25 am

Whoa there guys.

Jake, why is it when Sascha wrote glowing words about my GTX470 you didn't call him out as a mole?

I have gone out of my way to create better Nvidia cards than you can get anywhere else.

I don't even come on here and brag about it, there has been enough chatter to create more demand than I can easily deal with.

I am both the CEO and ALL of the employees of MacVidCards.

This guy doesn't work for me, but is in fact a customer.

I thinnk that many people are interested to know whether 1,1 and 2,1 Mac pros can be made to run Resolve. I created a way to do it.

It has amazed me that everyone says RAM transfer to CPU speeds too slow, etc, yet people discuss running Resolve on MacBooks and iMacs all of the time. I have a MacBook Pro from 2009 and I guarantee that I see more beachballs on it then I do on my Quad 3.0 1,1. If people want to run it on a 1,1 or 2,1 why not? It is still a better choice then a MacBook with a 9600GT or 330GT (8800GT from years gone by). So these slower but newer Macs are on the "list", why not something with more REAL HP behind it?

Aside from which, my cards sell themselves. Above this post on masthead I see at least 3 of my customers. BMD has bought 3 or 4 cards I know of and I have spoken in person with at least 1 employee.

I make cards that make it easier for people to use this software. I just introed a Quadro 5000 and I am looking for someone in Hollywood to try a Quadro 6000 for Mac. I don't know Resolve well enough to post about it's abilities with my cards so I always hope for people to do so themselves. I am an Art Director who has worked in the biz in Hollywood for 16 years. I went to edit my reel one day and discovered that I didn't have a good enough GPU for FCP. That led me here.

The guy isn't a mole. I don't know him outside of his role as a guy that handed me $$$ so he could get a card.

Less paranoia would be good.

Return to posts index

Guillem Ventura
on Oct 22, 2011 at 3:21:25 pm

Hi David,

Sorry to say Mattt's post could sound a bit like a hidden ad :)
We've all seen a lot of this around this forum.
Anyway I'm sure plenty of us would LOVE to be able to use Resolve on an old MacPro:

If new MacPros come to the market I'll throw my second machine (MacPro 1,1) to the garbage and spend a lot on a new one, while if it could really handle Resolve properly keep it and safe some bucks.

But then I see you say FCP needed GPU... Is your business as new as FCP X or I've been missing something?

You had a great idea, Apple left us so behind when it comes to GPU... Let's change this thread to a "benchmark reference". Anyone with different setups could throw figures we can contrast?
Sascha, can you throw the numbers your machine gives with the same setup?

I'm willing to take the dongle out of the Company to my home and I can also post my results on the latest full-charged iMac and a MacPro 1,1: if you post a link to the Benchmark software...

http://www.malgeniofilms.com

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Oct 22, 2011 at 6:19:07 pm

David.
I'm using your GTX 285 with great success for over a year and a half and I have great respect for what you do.
Unfortunately, I do have a problem with the claim of 1/2 Good 4k debayer for real time playback on a 2.1 Mac. The debayer speed has nothing to do with your card whatsoever, as I pointed out, that it is done strictly in CPU. That's it.
Keep up the good work...

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:58:00 pm

LOL! I'm not a mole either... I bought a 285 from you... curb side service baby. Drove up, called, got my card. It looked way more nefarious then it was. At least there is an honest source for cards. I almost got ripped off buying two SAS chassis from some fool on ebay.. if it were not for the buyer protection I'd have been screwed out of $700.

With macvidecards you never have to worry about getting ripped off or having to jump through hoops.

Also... not really why people jump up each other's bung-holes on this list. This is a fantastic, (almost always) friendly and generous group.

- Jonathon

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Oct 22, 2011 at 4:36:21 pm

Guys, WTF !!

I bought a 470 because Steve and the nVidia guys had a bad cup of tea or something and didnt deliver.

The GTX470 I am using delivers 1088 gflops which is like 180% of the 285.

Also at work our IT built a hackintosh with a Dual (no mods) 570 and a 220 for UI.
That is a real beast...on paper.
The benchmark I developed shows almost double performance compared to my Mac.
Interesting enough it doesn't show on the same amount of nodes.
I still can slow it down with just a regular tree and Alexa footage.
And the stability is .. well.. not stable.
As of now I would totally recommend a proper Mac , Lion and a modded card.

And give the guy a break, he delivered what nVidia refused to make themselves.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.0.1 OSX 10.7
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB eSata 6TB
GTX 470 / GT 120
Extreme 3D+ WAVE

http://www.saschahaber.com

Return to posts index

Guillem Ventura
on Oct 22, 2011 at 5:36:54 pm

Lion?
It's been bugging me around, we went back to 10.6.8 (better for Nuke and FCP)

Anyway, Sascha... would you recommend a GTX setup if having to work with clients?
I'd hate having to say "the machine doesn't work", it sounds so lame.

Anyway I'm using 2xQuadro4000 on a MacPro 5,1 and I'm not happy at all!!

http://www.malgeniofilms.com

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Oct 22, 2011 at 6:37:58 pm

I'm working with multiple GTX470s in my cubix desktop 4 for supervised work (supervised pretty much everyday) it just rocks. We have another system with multiple 285s

ProRes I'm rendering at least double real time, S3D I'm getting a ton of nodes all in realtime. We have 2009 2.93 8-Cores and couldn't be happier. We'll upgrade the boxes when/if Apple updates them.

RE Lion I haven't had any issues

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion
An Editors Guide To Adobe Premiere Pro

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
Proof in the Pudding
on Oct 22, 2011 at 8:48:47 pm

Thanks for any and all kind words.

As I stated before, I am NOT a colorist. I know absolutely ZERO about what you guys do. I have spent my last 16 years making pretty sets. Sometime in there I started fiddling around with Video Cards when my old Blue & White wouldn't run FCP. It has grown into an obsession and already takes up WAY too much of my time. (Coincidentally, time I should be spending updating my reel)

Speaking of which, if any of you have Director friends in LA who have recently mentioned needing an Art DIrector, I wouldn't mind getting paint on my hands again instead of thermal compound.

http://web.mac.com/dpart2/

I have considered learning Resolve to a point that I could test my various cards with it. But then I should also like to learn Premiere so that I could test the configs I have come up with to enable Mercury on 1,1 and 2,1 as well. I have had several people ask me to load SMOKE and see how my cards work with it. And I know that my head can not hold all of that, nor do I have time to learn all of that software.

I make the cards work and I depend on your guys to benchmark & report on what works and what doesn't. ENd users know far better than I could. I encouraged Barefeats to test Resolve and sent him some of these "unsupported" cards to test with. For whatever reason, nobody is able to "officially" endorse these cards.

So again, it falls to end users on boards like this.

If there is someone in LA / Hollywood area who would like to scientifically compare these cards in a 1,1 or any Mac, I would be MORE than happy to loan them out for such a test. The basis of the 1,1/2,1 Resolve setup is an EFI32 GT120 I have been able to make work. My efforts to add EFI32 to more complex cards like GTX285 and GXT470 have not worked out. So, the GPU card is "injected" while the GUI GT120 offers full 100% boot screen and EFI support.

And as far as that goes, once you have the GT120 and injector in, ANY of the various GPUs will run in a 1,1 or 2,1. So it could also be used with GTX470 or even GTX480 with power brought it. On it's PCIE 1.0 bus, will these faster cards make a difference? I don't know but again, would love to .

So if someone has a licensed copy of Resolve and would like to get to the bottom of this, hard drives from later Mac Pros will fit right into older ones, they just stick out and you have to leave cover off. But that would be the most scientific way, test on a "supported" 4,1 and run benchmark then move the drives to a 1,1 or 2,1 and run same tests. I can offer my 1,1 up as a test mule. It has Dual Dual 3.0s and 17 Gigs of RAM.

But ultimately, I think my point always has been that I find it funny that the Resove guide lists various iMac and Macbook setups but then the commonly held opinion is that 1,1 and 2,1 are completely NOT able to run it. But if we consider a Macbook with GT330 as "capable" why is a 2,1 with Dual Quad 3.0s and a GTX285 "unacceptable"? Will the 2,1 be slower than a 5,1 ? Of course, but saying it "Can't be used" with Resolve seems to be rather arbitrarily telling a large bunch of people that they can't use Resolve until they drop 3-5K on a new machine. Why not encourage them to start off on their existing Mac Pro and when they feel the need for more speed (and get some paid work) then they can buy whatever machine they want and move Resolve onto it?

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
Re: Proof in the Pudding
on Oct 23, 2011 at 4:29:38 am

David.
I think you're misunderstanding BM's system requirements. The whole point of Resolve is that it is a REAL TIME grading system. By saying, that 2.1 is not recommended system, they mean, that as a REAL TIME system 2.1 is not recommended, but it doesn't mean it, that Resolve will not run. It is obviously does, just not very well. The CPU is not up to par to a modern 4.1 and 5.1 systems, but more importantly, the PCI bus is not fast enough to support 10 bit real time with at least 1/4 res debayer. That is why Resolve introduced an 8 bit mode, so older systems can be used.
On the other note, if interested, I'd be happy to use my 4.1 Mac Pro for GPU testing. I'm in Hollywood.
Let me know jake4n(at)me dot com

Return to posts index

Dave Boampong
GT120 and GTX285 Davinci package for1st gen Macs - Installation disc.
on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:52:34 pm

I received the GT120 and GTX285 Davinci package for 1st gen Macs but the package came without the installation disc. Could you kindly send it?

Regards
Dave Boampong

Return to posts index

Alessandro Pinto
on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:27:27 pm

Hi Matt,
I have a Mac Pro 2,1 ad I want to use Davinci Resolve on it.
I 've found on Ebay two Davinci Resolve package from Macvidcards, but both are compatible with Mac Pro 3,1 and newer.
Please, can you confirm that if I can buy one of this package it works on my Mac Pro 2,1?
Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Nov 1, 2011 at 4:24:59 pm

Hi Alessandro,
Contact Dave at MacVidCards, he will make sure you get cards that work for the 2,1 specifically. My setup was the 1gb evga gtx285 and an evga gt120 512mb. He will walk you through which model will work and ship with the cards an installation disk with the required app as well as instructions to get your cards up an running. The 2,1 Mac has specific model of cards that it can accept so be safe and contact Dave, he's the expert. Make sure you tell him it's a 2,1 Mac pro.

Best of luck.

As a side note to anyone reading this thread. I never said my machine renders footage real time, I was merely claiming real time playback with multiple node corrections. As for rendering I was getting anywhere between 3fps and 12fps depending on the render settings. I know this isn't a blazing fast setup but for me and for some others it will do until we can afford to upgrade our Mac pro's.

Return to posts index

Alessandro Pinto
on Nov 1, 2011 at 7:09:13 pm

Hi Matt,
thanks you very much for you answer.
On Macvidcards site I didn't found a contact e-mail, so please could you give me the e-mail of Dave?
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Nov 1, 2011 at 7:27:37 pm

Dave's email is: dpart2@mac.com

Best,
Matt

Return to posts index

Paul Principe
on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:06:55 pm

Hey Matt,

Just came across this post and wanted to thank you for the lead. I have the exact same Mac Pro configuration as you do with less ram. I've contacted Dave for more information on the cards via his ebay store.

I feel like a very black cloud has been lifted off of me. I really was very discouraged when I found out my Mac was bordering bone-yard-itis because it was EFI32. It will be nice to get some more mileage out of it before I have to pony up 3k+ for a newer model.

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:55:59 pm

Hi Paul,

I too panicked at the realization that my tower i spent $5,000 on was now basically obsolete. Dave wrote an EFI32 Rom for the GT120 and the whole setup worked without issue from the start. I didnt need real time rendering from my machine but real time playback while coloring was essential. Dave warned me there was a possibility it wouldnt work, but i would rather spend $400 for cards that i could always resell and recoup my money than buy a new $5,000 tower which at the moment i cant afford.

Needless to say i gave it a try and had no hickups. The reason i posted this was for others in my similar situation and to confirm the setup will work. Would i like a new mac pro? Of course. But for now this works just fine for my needs.

Best of luck!

Return to posts index

Paul Principe
on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:24:45 pm

Actually this begs a bigger question with regard to Apple.

It appears they've abandoned professionals in favor of consumer grade disposable devices and software. It's for that reason, along with the ridiculous price, that I am resisting buying any more Apple hardware.

Since Resolve will soon have a windows based version, there is nothing I will be currently using that will require Apple hardware any more. I abandoned FCS for Avid Media Composer when FCPX was released and I'm not looking back. I learned to edit with Avid at the beginning of my career so it wasn't a painful transition to go back.

I hate Microsoft products with a passion, but it almost certainly would be more economically viable when the time to upgrade comes to go back to windows based hardware. I'm positive I could build a machine that has more horsepower than a boned-out Mac Pro for way less than $5k.

This is a big decision (jumping OS) that hopefully I can put off for another 12 to 18 months. I want to wait and see if and what Apple is going to do to regain the confidence of the professional market.

Return to posts index

suny behar
on Feb 11, 2012 at 6:53:02 pm

Hey Matt,

I just bought the cards, and have the exact same hardware config as you. But am not able to get anywhere close to realtime playback from 4K files in 1/2 Good. What other cards do you have running on your system?

I have a BM Extreme 2, and a HighPoint RAID.

The problem I am having I think is that the BM Card requires 4 Lanes, and so does the GT120. So I am left having to put my RAID card in the X1 Slot, which is getting me READ/WRITE speeds of 150MB/s instead of the 450MB/s I used to get in my 4X slot.

But short of an expansion chasis, I'm not sure what to do to increase my drive speed.

How fast are your drives running?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Feb 11, 2012 at 7:25:40 pm

Hey!
First make sure Resolve is set for a 1080p timeline and then set to 1/2 good resolution. Resolve can also only go as fast as the drives will allow...
The gtx285 must be running 16x, the 120 at 8x...I put 285 in bottom double wide slot and then the 120 in the next slot. I was just using the internal drives for playback as well as external drives through esata and always got real time playback in a 1080p timeline.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

suny behar
on Feb 12, 2012 at 1:06:09 am

Hey Matt,

I'm running a 1080p timeline at 1/2 Good... still no realtime.

Something doesn't quite make sense to me. If you have a Mac Pro 2,1 and are running your GTX285 as a 16X, and your GT120 as an 8x, that means that your 2 remaining slots are automatically 1x.

But my BlackMagic Card requires me to run it in a 4X slot, so I have to set my GT120 at 4x in order to accommodate that.

What other PCIe cards do you have in your system and in what slots?

You mentioned eSata, I'm assuming you're running an ESata card like a Tempo or something...

Anyway, can't figure out how you can run your GT120 at 8x and still be able to play out video through a BlackMagic Card..

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Feb 12, 2012 at 1:25:58 am

I was just using those two cards and the esata card which could run in a 1x slot. No output card.

I'm not sure why your running slower than realtime as I always got real time playback. Where did you get your GTX and have you tested to make sure it's running correctly? As long as your not doing noise reduction you should get real time if your drives are fast enough. I'm not a techie so I'm not much help. All I know is my setup worked.

Return to posts index

suny behar
on Feb 12, 2012 at 2:01:56 am

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. I got my cards from Dave after reading your recommendation. He was really nice to deal with.

It seems the only difference in our setup is where you are placing the GT120 (8x) instead of my (4x).

What process are you using to check if the cards are running properly?

Would love to check that...

I really need video output so I can't really put my Gt120 in 8x mode...

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Feb 12, 2012 at 11:31:33 pm

Hello,
From what I understand in order for Resolve to function properly in real time the 285 must be running 16x and the 120 in at least 8x. You must also make sure that you are only using the 120 for playback/gui. The 285 must be left alone an not used for output or monitoring.

As for the app I cant quite remember but if you email Dave he will email it to you.

I have since bought a 4,1 8 core Mac Pro and am running Daves GTX470 and a gt120 and am getting far better results. I was able to get real time on my 2,1 mac pro with those cards but I was running them in 16x and 8x. I have some screen grabs of 4k footage running in resolve real time from my old system if you'd like to see. I wish I could help more but im not much of a techie.

Also, just to confirm your using Resolve 8 correct?

My 2,1 specs were:
2x quad 3.0ghz processors
16gigs ram
osx lion
gtx285
gt120- monitoring
Resolve 8

Return to posts index

suny behar
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:15:40 am

Hey Matt,

This has been very useful.

Seems like I have the same specs as you.

The main difference seems to be in the placing of the Cards within the slots.

On my Mac 2,1, if I were to place the GTX285 in Slot 1, and the GT120 in Slot 2, the only option for the GTX set at 16x in slot 1, would be to run the GT120 at 1x. (looking at the Expansion Slot Utility).

Do you think you could have been running your GT120 at x1 speed?

If not, if I set SLot 1 to 16x, the only other 8x slot is in Slot 4. But that would not fit with your scenario of being in SLot 2.

My other thought is that I can set Slot 1 to 8x for the GTX285 and Slot 2 to 8x for the GT120.... but I don't know that that would be right....

Found the test software, it's called CUDA-Z

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:31:23 am

Cuda-z. That is it. It's possible I was running it at 4x. I'd have to find my screen grabs from my old system to check (im still looking).

Also, what is your source settings for the Red Project?

Return to posts index

suny behar
on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:09:20 am

Hey Matt,

For my RED tests, I am using 4K R3Ds recorded in 2:1.

I have now run a series of tests and this is what I get with:
285 Plugged into Slot 1 (16x)
GT120 Plugged into Slot 3 (4x)
RAID into Slot 2 (1x)
Black Magic into Slot 4 (4x)

ProRes444 clips playback in resolve at 17-18 fps (at 1920x1080 8bit)
RED R3D clips playback in resolve at 17-18 fps (1/4 Res. Good, 8 bit)
RED R3D Clips playback in resolve at 10 fps (1/2 Res. Good, 8bit)
RED R3D Clips playback in resolve at 5 fps (1/2 Res. Good, 10 bit)

I tried plugging the monitors into the GT120, got an error message saying it would not be optimal, but it ran anyway.

What was interesting was that the ProRes444 dropped to 10 fps. But the R3D only dropped to 16fps (1/4 Res. Good). Which seems to lend credence to the fact that the R3D speed is not as dependent on the card as one would think...

Either way, I am not able to achieve 24fps in either ProRes or R3D...

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:45:04 am

Hmm.

That's interesting since the only time I didn't get real time playback was with noise reduction or over 4-5 nodes...

How did the cards perform in cuda-z? My original post has my results of each card. They should match if they are working correctly.

Return to posts index

suny behar
on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:13:14 am

My CUDA-Z performance specs match yours exactly. Except that my GT120 says 1400 MHz and yours says 1500 MHz. Shouldn't really matter as it's GUI only..

This is really strange...

Did you check what lane speed your GT120 was set to?
Shouldn't matter but it's the only thing I can think of...

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Feb 13, 2012 at 6:22:44 am

I don't own that Mac pro anymore and I'm still looking for the screen grabs from that setup.

What version of Resolve are you running? If your only using Lite I'm not sure if the second card gt120 is being used.

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
on Feb 13, 2012 at 6:45:33 am

These are the only grabs I have left of my previous system. Wish I had one of the Source settings tab...
This timeline is Red R3D files in 4KHD running in the 1080p timeline.

Return to posts index

David Steiner
on Apr 19, 2012 at 3:49:41 am

We bought the GT120+GTX285 from macvidcards for a 3,1 2008 Mac Pro.

I get realtime performance on Resolve 8.2:
- in 2D, almost all the time except with noise reduction or image resize
- turning on monitoring with the Intensity Pro seems to break the realtime except I set it to 8 bit and use Desktop Video 8.6 (unconfirmed, not to check more)

but with Stereo 3D, it's NEVER realtime - even with small 35mbps XDCAM EX wrapped in QT mov files. as soon as I check "display both eyes for 3D", realtime breaks.

anyone managed to get realtime perf in S3D in Resolve 8.2 on a Mac Pro?

I'm not sure GPU is the limiting factor but it seems logical. Would it be possible to install 2 GTX 285 on a 2008 Mac Pro?

D.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Jun 7, 2012 at 4:49:17 pm

In my attempt to build a system that can run DaVinci Resolve and FCPX, I just tried a change that led to mixed results. (I know that the 2,1 is not a "supported" machine due to its PCI 1.0 setup and 32bit EFI)

Machine: MacPro 2,1
RAM: 24gb
Storage: 6tb CalDigit Raid 0 (Slot 4 8X) (350-400mb playback)
Graphics: Nvidia GT120 for GUI (Slot 2 1X)
Graphics 2: GTX285 for GPU (Slot 1 16X)
Video: Black Magic StudioLink SDI (Slot 3 1X)

Before the DaVinci experiment, I had a Radeon 4870 as my only graphics card. FCP X played flawlessly at speed. So did FCP 7 and Premiere

After swapping out the 4870 for the 2 Nvidia cards, here's what happened:

1) FCPX is really choppy and now playing back at about 8 - 10 FPS on both my main screen and my external AV monitor. (This performance is a deal-breaker for the the 120)

2) FCP7 plays fine on the main screen and through the AV Monitor

3) Premiere plays choppy on the main screen but fine through the AV Monitor.

4) Resolve plays choppy on both the GUI screen and AV Monitor (which might be OK compared to working in an NLE)

So here's what I want to know: Is the unacceptable FCP X performance from the GT120 related to:

1) being a crappy, low-spec card?,
2) being in a 1X slot (it's hard to put it in a faster slot because of the CalDigit card)?
3) being in a 2,1 MacPro?
4) all of the above?

Has anyone had acceptable FCPX performance from a GT120 on any MacPro (of the same or higher spec)?

Is there another setup that lets me use a Radeon Card for the GUI, an NVIDIA card for GPU and doesn't use more than 2 power slots AND will work in my 2,1 beater?

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tony Van Mellaert
on Mar 10, 2013 at 9:36:29 am

I have resolve 9.1 playing realtime Prores 1080 on my Mac Pro 2.1
with this config:
slot 1 x16 : GTX570
slot 3 x4 : GT120

The problem is when I add my Decklink card to slot 4 (x4)
playback in resolve drops to 7fps...

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Could it be it takes too much power?

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:56:50 am

Try enabling the optimized playback in the video monitoring section.

Return to posts index

Tony Van Mellaert
on Mar 10, 2013 at 2:15:52 pm

With optimized playback I get 16 fps but that's nowhere near the perfect realtime I get without the decklink installed...

update: when I move the decklink to slot 2 (x1) I get realtime playback but the image on the monitor is part green...

Then I used Expansion slot utility to change to

slot 1 x8 (GTX570)
slot 2 x8 (decklink)
slot 3 x4 (gt120)

The image on the monitor is perfect now but playback speed is 12fps.

It must be all about PCI speed, that's the only thing I can think of...
Any idea's anyone?

Return to posts index

Guillaume Cottin
on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:33:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I also have a Mac Pro 2,1 with 16GB ram and an Nvidia 8800GT. I work on OSX 10.6.8 to ensure compatibility with Final Cut Pro 7, and use Resolve 9.

I am very interested in the GT120 + GTX 285 GPU solution for Resolve. How fast is it ?

Could someone explain how it works exactly ? Do you just put the cards in the right slots and it works ?
I know the first card, the EFI32 GT120, is only used to have the other card (GTX285 -or any other ??) EFI64 card work...

Does the more powerful card have to be in a slower slot ?
Is there any specific software to use to make it work ?
Is it still possible to expand with a Cubix PCI-E expansion box with this configuration ?

Sorry for asking so many questions at the same time!! :-)

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Guillaume Cottin
on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:50:31 pm

Oh and : Can I use my standard GeForce 8800GT as a helper card instead of the (apparently less powerful) GT120 ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]