FORUMS: list search recent posts

Franchise Fatigue

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Franchise Fatigue
on Jan 13, 2020 at 4:24:44 pm

I think the Transformers franchise has released too many crappy films. I'm so burned out with the franchise that when I saw the movie trailer for Bumble Bee in the theater I wanted to throw up. I had no desire to see it. Interesting enough it ended up on a list of films that the first trailer made the film look bad but are actually good. Jumaji was also on that list. Anyways, it is on Hulu so we gave it a try and I have to say it was very enjoyable. Much better than any of the Mark Wahlberg Transformer films. Sorry Marky Mark, I do like your restaurant if that means anything.

Stephen Smith

Savvy Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Franchise Fatigue
on Jan 13, 2020 at 4:56:40 pm

Hollywood's so busy mining existing franchises, they're not doing enough to create and explore new ones... and there are so many potential ones out there.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jan 13, 2020 at 5:30:22 pm

Sadly with movie budgets so high, Hollywood isn't willing to risk creating and exploring new ideas. The economies are so screwy now that Hollywood is always going to hedge its bets by falling back on known properties with a built-in fan base when risking money. But even that doesn't always work out (Detective Pikachu, Justice League, Charlie's Angels, Cats).

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 13, 2020 at 5:47:57 pm

It was ever thus. Or nearly so. Most risk-averse business there is.

I think the only hope is that lower-tier production companies and studios can try something new in hopes of sparking the next franchise, gettin in on the "ground floor" of it, then they get acquired by the bigger companies who further develop and exploit the source material, once they've proven it's a safe and profitable investment.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jan 13, 2020 at 5:52:44 pm

Ever and ever, world without end, amen.

How much blame do you think rests with the audience? When the big-budget behemoths rake in a billion dollars and the small, no-spectacle movies struggle to break even, can we really blame Hollywood for not chasing the big payday?

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 13, 2020 at 6:19:53 pm

If I'm being honest, I go to the theater screening for movies that are "big screen experiences", in terms of the visuals and sound. A lot of those are action blockbusters. Movies that are more cerebral, I prefer to watch at home.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jan 13, 2020 at 6:26:14 pm

Oh, I'm as bad as anyone. I'm there opening weekend for most of the blockbusters. Big picture/sound almost makes it worth tolerating the increasingly rude audience (but that's another post). The smaller, quieter films I tend to view at home, which I'm sure doesn't help their profitabilty.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 13, 2020 at 6:31:03 pm

I have major distraction issues at home, so the theater is the only way I'll guaranteed watch a movie 100% through and pay attention the whole time and never look at my phone or get up to find a snack. That's why it's optimal to see all movies in the theater (for me), big or small.

The key is to see things during the weekdays, preferably in the afternoon. I get a lot of "private" screenings of things (or with just 3 or 4 other people).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 13, 2020 at 7:14:24 pm

Personally, Jeff, I wouldn't mind paying the same price as a theater seat for the "quiet" movies if it meant I could watch it at home without waiting for the theatrical run to be over. That's just not how the current distribution model works.

I gotta say I really love my Netflix and Prime, though. I see 90 percent of the movies I might be interested in, on just those platforms. The new WW1 Sam Mendez flick, yeah, I'll go thee that on a big screen, in a reserved reclining seat, with the big sound. Contemplative foreign and indy films? On my couch. But I'm still willing to pay.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jan 13, 2020 at 7:35:42 pm

[Mark Suszko] "The new WW1 Sam Mendez flick, yeah, I'll go thee that on a big screen"

And you absolutely should. The camerawork deserves every bit of screen you can give it.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 13, 2020 at 6:21:18 pm

Just for a little on the other side of things; the very successful film company A24 releases about 15-20 critically acclaimed, great, independent movies a year that are basically the opposite of franchise films. They've been nominated for 25 Academy Awards since 2016 and have won some major ones, including Best Picture for Moonlight.

So there's options out there. And no I don't work for them, and this wasn't a paid promo ☺.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]