FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Irishman

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
The Irishman
on Jan 8, 2020 at 9:06:21 pm

Waited until the Netflix cue had calmed down to see it.

Over the years I've enjoyed mob movies (Godfather I and II as two of the best films ever made IMHO) so I wanted to see The Irishman even though I'd read bad as well as good reviews. I'll give it a good rating -- worthwhile but not The Godfather's level of storyline, acting, set decoration, direction, etc.

It's easy to see why Paramount wanted out. Have you read or heard that it's long??? No looooooong: 3 hrs 20x min long. But thankfully Netflix took on the financing so it got made.

Did it HAVE to be that long? Were Scoorsese's decisions on how deep and detailed to go worth the end product? Was his long time editor Thelma Schoonmaker biting her tongue or actually saying, "Really Martin? This could easily be cut down to a two hour movie."

In the end The Irishman is a good to very good film. But pack and lunch and have a comfortable seat.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The Irishman
on Jan 9, 2020 at 3:23:02 pm

Well, I suppose it *could* have been released as a short series instead... but actually, I really enjoyed the long, deep dive. I never felt like "man, I wish they'd cut to the chase already". I'd call the edit pacing "lyrical". It's a waltz, not a polka. Most movies spend the bulk of their character development time on the lead, and the supporting characters remain more like thin sketches, but the secondary characters here come detailed, fully-fleshed-out, and I liked that. I liked the epic scale of it. I like how it explored two sides of personal integrity: uncompromising characters who are uncompromising for different reasons. The hitman who has a personal code of loyalty and honor that he won't rat out anybody, and the depiction of Hoffa as having an unrelenting ego involvement in his personal control of the union.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: The Irishman
on Jan 9, 2020 at 4:05:21 pm

I agree with everything you wrote, Mark but I don't think it's at the same stratospheric level as Godfather I and II. But it is well worth spending 3 hrs 20+ minutes just for the detail.

Now the big question is: an accurate depiction of history or an enhanced, "could have been" storyline?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]