FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Spy on Netflix

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Nick Griffin
The Spy on Netflix
on Sep 7, 2019 at 3:12:07 pm

Have you enjoyed Showtime’s Homeland? How about FX’s The Americans? Well The Spy will be quite a treat. The show’s creator as well as writer and director of its first episode is Gideon Raff. Not only did he also create Homeland, he created the Israeli show on which Homeland was modeled. And now... The Spy.

I’ve only seen the first episode but WOW! Great writing, great acting/casting* and in technical terms extremely thoughtful and creative use of color grading. In many places the colors are so pulled back that the look is black and white with only a tiny hint of colors in selected places. They make the 1961 setting really look and FEEL like 1961. Color is slowly brought into most scenes but, by the time that happens, the mood has been set.

The only downside I can see is that there are (at least for now) only 6 episodes. Rather than binge I’m thinking of rationing to extend the experience.

*- Damn!! Sachs Baron Cohen is one hell of an actor. I thought his transformation into the innkeeper in the Les Miserable move was impressive. This is so far From Borat that it shows what a great talent he is.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The Spy on Netflix
on Sep 12, 2019 at 3:25:57 pm

Seen the first two episodes on your recommendation, and am very impressed by Cohen as well as the rest of the cast. Good art direction and editing as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]