FORUMS: list search recent posts

What We Left Behind: Star Trek: Deep Space 9 Documentary

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
What We Left Behind: Star Trek: Deep Space 9 Documentary
on May 14, 2019 at 2:27:17 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on May 14, 2019 at 2:34:10 pm

Saw this at a Fathom Events screening last night and was entertained and impressed. Beyond a conventional fan doc, the B story was worth the price of admission by itself: a group of the show writers and the showrunner meet again in the writer's room to break the premiere episode for a fictional 8th season. And MAN, did it ROCK! I wanted to see that episode SO BADLY! In fact, it was good enough to be a stand-alone movie. If you're interested in screenwriting, this is required viewing.

Speaking of "stand-alone", the doc goes into some discussion of how, in it's day, it was considered rare, risky, and "wrong" to do season-long story arcs and serialized storytelling, when most shows made each episode self-contained and stand-alone. But time has proven the decision right, in that the way people enjoy TV most these days, by "binge-watching", makes the long plot arcs all the more rewarding viewing.

Do try to see it in the theatre, but if you miss your chance, it will be out soon on bluray and DVD.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: What We Left Behind: Star Trek: Deep Space 9 Documentary
on Jul 25, 2019 at 3:39:56 pm

On a similar note, I recently saw "Chaos on the Bridge" on PBS. It is a narrative film by William Shatner about the chaotic situation during the first seasons of Next Generation. They have some interviews with Patrick Stewart, Ronald Moore and some of the writers, and use an interesting style of 3D sketch animation - not like AHA video but you'd have to see it to understand - basically they animated some situations that were not photographed, taking some artistic liberty.

I learned a few things about Roddenberry's involvement in the show and how it almost was not successful. It was also the first show to be first-run syndicated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]