FORUMS: list search recent posts

Element 3D: Particle Effects and real time material change

COW Forums : Video Copilot

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Blank
Element 3D: Particle Effects and real time material change
on Feb 28, 2019 at 9:27:09 pm

Hey everyone!

Wondering if I can use the Creative Cow hive mind to generate ideas on how to mimic (or do something in the same vein) as Microsoft does in the below video:

Between 6-8 seconds the controller passes through a plane. Then a particle effects around the control leads into a material change. Any idea how a similar particle effect can be created in Element? And any idea how to change textures in real time?

As far as the particle effect goes: All I can really do is surround my object in particles. They don't look natural to the scene. They also don't look like they're actually attached/revealing something on the object like these particles do in the Xbox video.

As far as the material change goes: I use a precomposed layer as my diffusion map. But adding a wipe to a different color doesn't seem to change the object in a wipe like fashion. It seems to change all at once.

Appreciate it everyone!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Element 3D: Particle Effects and real time material change
on Mar 6, 2019 at 10:31:01 am

A custom texture map with an animated feathered mask reveal of the colored version should handle the texture wipe.

You can't do a particle effect like that (passing though a plane that emits particles) in Element, you'll need Particular for it.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gabe Blank
on Mar 7, 2019 at 8:48:43 pm

Hey Kalleheikk,

Thanks for the response. I've been curious about using Particular for a while now. Would you be able to briefly explain how the integration with Element is?

For instance, the video in my original post has the particles emitting around the base of the controller. Is that possible with a combination of Particular and Element?

Thanks again for the ideas,

Gabe

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Mar 8, 2019 at 1:41:57 pm

They don't directly interact, but Element 3D world position pass is very useful in making it appear so. You can use it as a occlusion map for Particular, which will hide any particles that go inside or behind Element 3D objects. So you will be able to make it look like they work together in the same 3D space. Both use the AE camera, so camera moves in 3D are just fine. There will be no (real) bouncing the particles from the object, but you can make it appear like there's air influence (turbulence) around the object by using a spherical force field strategically placed in the location of the object in Particular. Alternatively, there are two planes that you CAN actually bounce particular particles off of, so you can make it kinda look like they are bouncing off the object, if you really need that effect. Just that air physics and bounce physics do not work at the same time so it is one or the other. But I've used it to for example roll and bounce snow off a mountain side to a decent result.

I don't have the latest version of Particular as yet, but that added fluid simulation, which would likely look very good here.

To my knowledge Stardust is currently the only particle system that can bounce things off a 3D object, but I don't think you really need it here.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gabe Blank
on Mar 8, 2019 at 5:28:46 pm

This is really helpful.

Thanks for your feedback, Kalleheikki!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]