FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't control active range of lights on Element 3D layers

COW Forums : Video Copilot

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Gabe Blank
Can't control active range of lights on Element 3D layers
on Oct 9, 2018 at 7:10:48 pm

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my lights in After Effects. I'm using them to light objects in Element 3D so the problem could be from either end. (I'm also posting this in the generic AE forum. Apologies for repeating.)

Long story short, when I create a light After Effects seems to arbitrarily decide when the light will be active. If I trim the layer in my timeline, After Effects might still show the light even when the layer is not active. And visa versa, if I have the layer active, After Effects might not show the light at all.

For obvious reasons, this is very frustrating.

Sometimes I can predict what After Effects is going to do after trouble shooting. Meaning I can tell AE is going to have a light disable 5 seconds after the layer ends, then I can shift it 5 seconds backwards in the timeline to time in properly. Obviously, this is not a real solution. Just another variable to consider.

Anyone have any idea what's up?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Can't control active range of lights on Element 3D layers
on Oct 10, 2018 at 7:54:13 am

Element 3D has issues when either the Element layer or the lights are moved from their original starting time in the timeline. Try to avoid doing that and you'll be much happier. Includes trimming the beginning of the comp or the beginning of the layers. It is better to use light brightness setting if you want to turn lights on or off when working with Element.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gabe Blank
on Oct 11, 2018 at 4:31:48 pm

Thanks! This is working for me.

I'm just making sure my light layers cover my entire comp and am never trimming them. Using intensity to shut them on/off. Really messes with my organization to have this many lights on my timeline at once but it beats the alternative.

Thanks Kalleheikki, appreciate the idea!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Oct 13, 2018 at 7:14:05 am

Shouldn't be a huge number of lights: Element works with a maximum of eight lights.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gabe Blank
on Oct 13, 2018 at 8:07:13 am

That explains why, on top of my range problem, my lights have also started shutting off randomly. I've found precomposing shots in my final comp has worked fine. So long as I stay below 8 per shot.

When I first noticed the range problem I only had 3 or 4 lights, though. Looks like this is a broader Element bug as others have reported the same. I've since found and posted my workaround.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]