FORUMS: list search recent posts

Element 3D not responding to lights, only recognizing one custom text layer

COW Forums : Video Copilot

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gates Bradley
Element 3D not responding to lights, only recognizing one custom text layer
on Sep 18, 2013 at 8:31:56 am

Hi everyone. A big up to anyone who might be able to help me out. I'm running Element 3D v. 1.6.1 (just bought it today). All I'm trying to do is make some simple 3D Text animations. However,

1) the plugin only recognizes one custom text layer. I've been able to work around it by making applying the effect to a different solid for every word I'm animating. Still, it's not the way it's supposed to work.

2) This is the really big problem - the text doesn't respond to lights. I can find no reason for this. The effect is always applied to a 2D layer. I've got plenty of VRAM (2x 6Gb).

I'm on a PC running two Radeon 7970HDs, which are on Video Copilot's recommended list. I've got 16Gb Ram and a 4Ghz processor. Hardware limitations shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone have an idea?

Return to posts index

Dustin Hudson
Re: Element 3D not responding to lights, only recognizing one custom text layer
on Sep 20, 2013 at 8:51:33 pm

Hey!

First I would make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics cards. There is also a patch for Element you can download called v1.6.467, which is slightly newer than the regular installer (but mostly likely isn't the cause of you problem, just good to have). Having your AE updated is alway's good too.

1)Obvious suggestion, but are you changing the custom path slot number in the Element scene setup, and are you putting that model on a different group number?

2)Only thing I can think of off the top of my head, is make sure that your layer that has Element on it, isn't cut and shifted on the timeline. It is best to keep the layer in it's original state on the timeline:

-Give your comp some more timeline space if needed.
-Drag the Element layer (and/or light layers) to the right further in time a bit.
-Extend the beginning of the layer toward the left, closer to frame 0
-Do this but don't extend to where you get the tick marks on the layer indicating that you have passed the layers start point, so extend to where the beginning of the layer would have started if it were not cut off
-When you do this, you have restored the layer to how it was before being cut off in any sort of way and it should react to the lights and cameras as desired. You can also move the beginning of the layer back to the beginning of the timeline.

If none of that seems to help, please send an email to support@videocopilot.net and we can help you further there. Also sending a project file with the issue present on your end is helpful too. We apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience.

--Dustin

http://www.videocopilot.net/

Return to posts index

Hassan Ganari
Re: Element 3D not responding to lights, only recognizing one custom text layer
on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:35:47 am

your tip was very helpful, thank you !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]