FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator EPS export - Affinity Designer compatibility & preview options mystery

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juraj Nemec
Illustrator EPS export - Affinity Designer compatibility & preview options mystery
on Jun 5, 2019 at 9:41:47 pm

I am a newbie to vector graphics and have an odd issue - so my terminology may be off.

When I export an EPS file from Illustrator, there are options for the preview that can be set to either "Transparent" or "Opaque". I'm not exactly sure what this does other than what it says, but it has a weird effect when opening those files in Affinity Designer:

- If the EPS is saved with the Preview set to Transparent, Affinity Designer does NOT open the file properly - e.g. in one file that has a 3D (curved) effect that consists of a large number of polygons, the even surface turns into a mesh of pieces that look very different from the original Illustrator file.

- If the EPS is saved with the Preview set to Opaque, Affinity Designer opens the file perfectly, i.e. it has the exact same look as in Illustrator.

I have no idea what is happening here, and what effect this Preview setting has on EPS files. From what it is called, it shouldn't have an effect on the actual file contents, since when I open the file, I'm not editing the preview, but the vector image itself.

Also, exporting with the Opaque setting results in a much larger file.

How can this Preview setting has such an effect on Affinity Designer's ability to properly open the file? I also posted on an Affinity forum but no one there really understood what this setting in Illustrator EPS export does, so they couldn't really help. I'm hoping that there may be someone here who has experience with both Illustrator and Affinity Designer who can shed some light on this mystery...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]