FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a layer/vector as a variable

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abdul Rahim
Using a layer/vector as a variable
on May 16, 2019 at 7:59:22 pm

Hi community,
It's been several times I got into a situation where I made a bunch of identities of a logo (stationary like business cards, letterheads, social media covers, posts etc) and then my client wants me to change the logo a bit. So now I have to go and change the logo everywhere.
Is there any way I could make a layer/vector/logo a reference (like a variable in a programming language) and use its instances everywhere. So when I change the source logo, it automatically changes all the instance I made of it. I know it sounds like a computer science thing but help me if it's possible or you have any similar solution.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Using a layer/vector as a variable
on May 18, 2019 at 7:17:40 am
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on May 18, 2019 at 7:20:48 am

Sounds like you are doing the designs fully in Illustrator. The more efficient way would be to do the designs in InDesign and import the artwork. That way when you update the original source image, everything linked to it will update automatically.

It is possible to link a file in Illustrator as well. Not sure that it works if the original is in Illustrator format, but at least if you save as PDF or EPS, you can import the file linked rather than embedded to the same effect.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/importing-artwork-files.html

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]