FORUMS: list search recent posts

effects/stylise/roundcorners is missing

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
effects/stylise/roundcorners is missing
on Mar 4, 2019 at 7:06:41 pm

Back when, (but still in CC) we used to select a point and choose Effects/Stylize/RoundCorners. Now when I follow this rabbit hole I only get a Glowing Edges option (AI 2018 and 2019).
I thought it might have been a plug in I had but searching the web brings up the same instructions for naitive AI functionality.
Did it move? Is there a trick? Is there a way to round the point on a path (where the point is a sharp cusp) and alter the radius interactively after its' been rounding?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: effects/stylise/roundcorners is missing
on Mar 6, 2019 at 10:51:41 am

Yes, the current version has a built-in corner rounding "widget" when you switch to the direct selection tool and select any sharp corner.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:44:19 pm

Perfect K thanks. I didn't have my Controls panel open so I didn't see the corners tool "turn on " when I selected the corner.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:51:01 pm

So that works but I can't make he radius value "stick" in the control section. I tried changing it in the prefs but that one's really for something else. Each time I choose a new point on my path the radius value zero's out but not really. If I don't enter a value there, when I hit the "round" button a huge value gets input and the path flys beyond screen. (AI 2018 PC)
I can get-by entering my preferred value each time, but weren't computers supposed to get rid of repetitive tasks?
Is there a trick?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 6, 2019 at 8:04:29 pm

So that was going along fine (if somewhat tedious, entering the rounding value each time). Then as I picked a new path to work on, the rounding value entry box vanished from control tools bar. Try as I might I can't get it back. Where did it go?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 6, 2019 at 8:20:26 pm

Here's my guess as to whats happening. In some preference somewhere, there is a radius distance set. I do have additional points along the spline that would be in the way of a rounding on a corner given that "preference" distance, so Ai wont' give me the radius corner dialogue to change a hard corner. But the rad I'm putting on my points is much smaller than the preference distance and those additional points would never be in the way. So while I get that I can't make a rad if another point is inside the radius curve distance and it makes sense its not letting me do it, AI will let a path loop back on itself so... give me back control and quit telling me how big my rads should be!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Mar 7, 2019 at 8:05:14 am

The interesting thing is that I'm in CC2018, and I do have the corner rounding effect available.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 12, 2019 at 4:47:44 pm

Turns out I was going to the second "stylize" selection in the drop down effects menu. Who designs two menu items with the same name in the same sub menu? If you go to the first "stylize", old friends reappear. Yes, technically that second set is photoshop filters, but when you are working fast...
Sorry, bad UI design is a pet peeve.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Mar 16, 2019 at 3:18:01 pm

Oh, yes, that's highly annoying.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]