FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Change Color of Object in Illustrator (Tried Solutions From Other Posts Already)

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cameron Dozier
Can't Change Color of Object in Illustrator (Tried Solutions From Other Posts Already)
on Dec 10, 2018 at 7:17:27 pm

Hello,

I can't change the color of an object in Illustrator.

I tried changing it in the "appearance," window.....TBH duno how to even get a color wheel to pop up in there. And also any swatch or color options disappear in the "appearance," window once I select my object.

I have tried just changing it in the color box under the tool panel on the left side. Tried with HEX and RGB codes....it will SAY that it has changed, but the color won't change. Remains the same color, and when I open the color box up, it will indeed show that it HASN'T changed. However, sometimes I open the color box up again, and it shows it HAS changed...but the color won't have changed at all still.

No idea what's going on THERE lol.

I tried opening the "color," window, and changing the color options, selecting RGB, CMKY or whatever....nothing changes....even selecting Grayscale doesn't change it. But the layers aren't locked.....I can manipulate the image still.

What checkbox did I miss this time to have Illustrator prohibit me from changing the color of an object?

Return to posts index

Cameron Dozier
Re: Can't Change Color of Object in Illustrator (Tried Solutions From Other Posts Already)
on Dec 10, 2018 at 7:36:24 pm

UPDATE: This is only happening with the one color that I need to use. I tried changing it to other colors, and it changes just fine. The asset is being used in After Effects, and if I change it to a random color, it changes in Illustrator, and when I save it is updated perfectly fine in After Effects.

If I change it to the particular blue that my company uses (has to be that blue) it either does or doesn't show in Illustrator, and either way it hasn't actually been changed to the right color, AND when it is saved it does not update in After Effects. Only for the color I need to use LOL.

Return to posts index

Cameron Dozier
Re: Can't Change Color of Object in Illustrator (Tried Solutions From Other Posts Already)
on Dec 10, 2018 at 7:49:18 pm

UPDATE: SO YEAH, THERE IS A SEPARATE COLOR MODE IN THE DOCUMENT COLOR MODE.....SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT FROM THE COLOR MODE IN THE COLOR WINDOW.

WHY NO ONE MENTIONED THIS IN THE OTHER POSTS, AND WHAT PURPOSE THIS DESIGN CHOICE WOULD SERVE, IS BEYOND ME.

WHAT DOES THAT ACTUALLY DO? WHY WHY WHY WOULD ADOBE MAKE IT SO CHANGING YOUR DOCUMENT COLOR MODE IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FUNCTION THEN CHANGING THE COLOR MODE IN THE "COLOR," WINDOW? WHAT PURPOSE DOES THAT SERVE? WHY DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? IT JUST MAKES ME WANT TO TEAR MY EARS OFF AND POKE MY OWN EYES OUT.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.....FOR THE LOVE OF ALL HUMANITY AND ALL THAT IS SACRED ON EARTH, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME HOW MANY OTHER DIFFERENT PLACES IN ILLUSTRATOR I NEED TO CHANGE MY COLOR? ALSO, CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT OTHER CONVOLUTED AND CONTRASTING AND CONFLICTING SETTINGS THAT ADOBE DEEMED FIT TO SEPARATE BUT CALL THE EXACT SAME THING?

thanks

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Dec 16, 2018 at 11:13:38 am

Not that I know Adobe's thinking behind this in any detail, but my understanding is that the color palette color mode controls the colors that you draw with while the document color mode is more related to how you intend to output the file.
Logically, one would expect that setting the document color mode would restrict the colors you can pick from the color palette or automatically convert the colors to that color space, however that is not what happens. In fact, after using Illustrator for 25 years, I still don't know exactly how the two relate, I've just learned to change both just to be sure.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

John-Patrick Crowe
on Dec 24, 2018 at 1:15:07 am

Yeah, seems pretty ridiculous to have this stuff all over the place. These are the places I know of:

#1 - File > Document Color Mode
#2 - Edit > Edit Colors
#3 - View > Proof Setup

Return to posts index

John-Patrick Crowe
on Dec 24, 2018 at 1:38:14 am

Before doing "convert to RGB" or "convert to CMYK" or "convert to grayscale" under "Edit > Edit Colors", you'll want to select the objects to be converted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]